Tax Senior, Business Tax Services - Healthcare Tax Exempt
Does working with tax-exempt organizations peak your interest? Are you a strategic and creative federal tax professional who likes solving complex federal tax issues? Do you enjoy providing federal tax compliance and consulting services to dynamic clients across a variety of non-profit industries? Do you like to have well-rounded technical skills? Are you comfortable with the greyness of the tax-exempt rules? If you answered “Yes” to any of these questions, you should consider a career in Deloitte’s Business Tax Services Tax-Exempt practice!
What You’ll Do
As a Tax Senior within the Tax-Exempt practice, you will spend at least half (potentially 100%) of your time serving non-profit clients including health care providers, higher education, private foundations, and other 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) non-profit organizations. Your time will be focused on providing tax compliance and consulting services including, but not limited to: restructuring and acquisition planning, tax controversy matters, exemption applications, unrelated business tax consulting. You will work directly with sophisticated clients, manage the tax engagement team, have access to an elite group of specialists when needed, and be connected to a strong support system from firm leadership to ensure you are set up for success in your role and career. As part of the Tax-Exempt practice, you will interact with and work with like-minded Tax-Exempt specialists from across the country on a regular basis. Responsibilities will include:
- Maintaining and developing strong client relationships on various federal tax consulting/compliance engagements.
- Advising clients on a variety of tax issues, as listed above.
- Overseeing federal tax compliance and consulting projects requiring tax analysis for a variety of entities and their affiliates.
At Deloitte Tax LLP, we have a locally based national practice whereby our Tax-Exempt team members collaborate and support each other nationally, but team members are part of the local office. In Detroit, we have a large cross-functional health care practice with all functions, and a growing non-profit tax practice with 2 partners and directors and a broad client base of health care provider, health plan, private foundation, VEBA, and community based organizations, along with their related taxable and joint venture activities. We have Tax-Exempt tax specialists in multi-state and international tax in addition to federal tax and utilize tax technology specific for non-profit clients to help us serve them. At Deloitte Tax LLP, our broader Business Tax Services team provides expertise to clients to gain a competitive advantage by integrating tax strategy into their business operations while working within the confines of their individual risk profiles. Business Tax subject matter experts and industry specialists provide services relevant to our client’s business. Our team will assist with global tax challenges and transform the tax department to create greater impact and efficiency within our client’s organization. Our spectrum of business tax services are relevant for public and private companies and range from tax planning to tax compliance, controversy and risk management, specialized services including research and development, government incentives, and tax management consulting. Join us, and help clients optimize their tax functions and take strategy to the next level. Learn more about Deloitte Business Tax Services.
- 2+ years’ experience in federal taxation with a strong emphasis on tax-exempt organizations (501(c)(3)s and 501(c)(4)s including a combination within health care providers, health plans, private foundations and other community organizations)
- Solid understanding and experience with federal tax compliance, tax analysis, and tax research
- Solid understanding with respect to mergers, acquisitions, and restructuring specific to tax-exempt organizations
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business, Finance or other business-related field
- One of the following accreditations obtained, in process, or willing able to obtain:
- Licensed CPA in state of practice/primary office if eligible to sit for the CPA
- If not CPA eligible:
- Licensed attorney
- Enrolled Agent
- Ability to travel 25%, on average, based on the work you do and the clients and industries/sectors you serve
- Other- Chartered Financial Advisor (CFA) or Certified Financial Planner (CFP) may also be acceptable depending on the specific role and business approval.
- Advanced degree such as Masters of Tax, JD, and/or LLM
- Previous Big 4 or large CPA firm experience
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Excellent presentation and communications skills
- Strong management experience
- Strong analytical skills
The wage range for this role takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to skill sets; experience and training; licensure and certifications; and other business and organizational needs. The disclosed range estimate has not been adjusted for the applicable geographic differential associated with the location at which the position may be filled. At Deloitte, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role and compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case. A reasonable estimate of the current range is $63,700 to $139,100.
You may also be eligible to participate in a discretionary annual incentive program, subject to the rules governing the program, whereby an award, if any, depends on various factors, including, without limitation, individual and organizational performance.
From developing a stand out resume to putting your best foot forward in the interview, we want you to feel prepared and confident as you explore opportunities at Deloitte. Check out recruiting tips from Deloitte recruiters. Benefits
At Deloitte, we know that great people make a great organization. We value our people and offer employees a broad range of benefits. Learn more about what working at Deloitte can mean for you. Our people and culture
Our diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture empowers our people to be who they are, contribute their unique perspectives, and make a difference individually and collectively. It enables us to leverage different ideas and perspectives, and bring more creativity and innovation to help solve our client most complex challenges. This makes Deloitte one of the most rewarding places to work. Learn more about our inclusive culture.
From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there’s always room to learn. We offer opportunities to build new skills, take on leadership opportunities and connect and grow through mentorship. From on-the-job learning experiences to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career.
Something looks off?