Tax Manager, Transaction & Integration Services (T&IS) - Transaction Cost Recovery Services
M&A Transactions. Divestitures. Integrations. Joint Ventures. Legal Entity Rationalization. You know what these terms mean and you have strong compliance and/or tax provision skills. You have worked with public companies and/or large multi-nationals and desire to join a team that is fast-paced, cross collaborative and project focused. If these descriptions interest and excite you, a job with Deloitte’s National T&IS team may be a great fit for you!
Work You’ll Do
As a T&IS Tax Manager focused on TCRS, you will:
- Review complex transaction structures to determine the tax treatment of transaction costs in accordance with Treas. Reg. §1.263(a)-5.
- Gain familiarity with various transactions including mergers, acquisitions, SPAC transactions, bankruptcies, spin off/separations, etc.
- Network and team with other service lines, such as Mergers & Acquisitions and Business Tax Services, to identify and pursue new opportunities.
- Manage transaction cost projects effectively and efficiently with a focus on process, excellent client service, and financial metrics.
- Review public filings, transaction agreements, and tax returns to understand the transaction and resulting tax implications.
- Review junior team member’s work product and provide constructive developmental feedback.
- Direct and perform tax research, formulate tax-planning strategies, and review deliverables, working with others within Deloitte Tax to ensure delivery of impactful client service at the highest possible level.
- Lead the pursuit of marketplace opportunities with respect to Transaction Cost Analysis projects and other T&IS opportunities.
- Expand your tax research skills via tax research involving IRS Code, Treasury Regulations, and case law.
- Plan and supervise assignments by tax professionals at the Senior Consultant and Consultant levels with Deloitte Tax, focusing on project management and effective communication skills.
- Be responsible for the development and motivation of the engagement teams and provide them with leadership, counseling, and project guidance, including Deloitte’s USI practice.
- Demonstrate sound judgment and instincts with respect to evaluating complex scenarios and priorities, all while supervising and developing our people and managing multiple client projects and firm initiatives.
National Federal Tax Services (NFTS) is a national practice within Deloitte Tax LLP made up of multiple tax service offerings, including Transaction & Integration Services (T&IS). The T&IS practice advises businesses and their investors on tax matters associated with acquisitions, integration, divestitures, joint ventures, bankruptcy emergence, public equity offerings, and legal entity realignment. Within this team, a segment of the group is focused on Transaction Cost Recovery Services (TCRS). This subgroup advises clients undergoing corporate life changes such as mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, bankruptcies, or other capital transactions with several valuable tax planning opportunities that address the potential deductibility and amortization of a portion of the transaction-related costs paid to third-party advisors (i.e., investment bankers, attorneys, accountants, and other consultants). The TCRS team’s refined and streamlined approach helps clients to focus on a wide variety of applications including:
- Assisting with the analysis of significant fees paid to investment bankers, legal, accounting, and consulting advisors to assess whether there are amounts not required to be capitalized under Reg. § 1.263(a)-5 that can be recovered through current deductions or amortization.
- Determining the proper legal entity to take the transaction costs into account for tax purposes.
- Providing comprehensive documentation to support the timing and nature of the services rendered by third-party advisors.
- Minimizing the effective tax rate impact of FASB Accounting Standards Codification 805 (ASC 805).
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business, or Finance
- 5+ years’ experience in core federal tax compliance, including federal and/or international
- A background in tax compliance and accounting for income tax and a broad understanding of US income taxation
- Some exposure to ASC 740, tax accounting, and basic multi-state and international tax principles
- Experience participating in all aspects of engagement strategic planning initiatives and supervising broad project teams
- One of the following accreditations obtained:
- Licensed CPA in state of practice/primary office if eligible to sit for the CPA
- If not CPA eligible, one of the other designations listed below based on role and business approval:
- Licensed Attorney
- Enrolled Agent
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Chartered Financial Advisor (CFA)
- Advanced degree such as MST, MAcc, or JD
- Working knowledge of corporate tax issues associated with capital transactions, including substantial experience in taxation of corporations and their shareholders, partnerships and their partners, and similar disciplines
- Experience in coaching and mentoring junior colleagues
- Self-starter with demonstrated ability to effectively handle multiple, competing priorities
- Entrepreneurial spirit with an appreciation for quality and risk management
- Strong excel skills
- Interest/experience in leveraging technology to improve processes
- Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with a management and executive presence
- Highly disciplined and able to work under strict deadlines in fast-paced collegial environment
- Previous Big 4 experience or equivalent
The wage range for this role takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to skill sets; experience and training; licensure and certifications; and other business and organizational needs. The disclosed range estimate has not been adjusted for the applicable geographic differential associated with the location at which the position may be filled. At Deloitte, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role and compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case. A reasonable estimate of the current range is $107,100 to $219,700.
You may also be eligible to participate in a discretionary annual incentive program, subject to the rules governing the program, whereby an award, if any, depends on various factors, including, without limitation, individual and organizational performance.
From developing a stand out resume to putting your best foot forward in the interview, we want you to feel prepared and confident as you explore opportunities at Deloitte. Check out recruiting tips from Deloitte recruiters. Benefits
At Deloitte, we know that great people make a great organization. We value our people and offer employees a broad range of benefits. Learn more about what working at Deloitte can mean for you. Our people and culture
Our diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture empowers our people to be who they are, contribute their unique perspectives, and make a difference individually and collectively. It enables us to leverage different ideas and perspectives, and bring more creativity and innovation to help solve our client most complex challenges. This makes Deloitte one of the most rewarding places to work. Learn more about our inclusive culture.
From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there’s always room to learn. We offer opportunities to build new skills, take on leadership opportunities and connect and grow through mentorship. From on-the-job learning experiences to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career.
Something looks off?