Tax Senior - Sustainability, Climate & Equity - Renewable Energy
Our Business Tax Services (“BTS”) practice provides our clients a broad range of tax services across more than 150 countries and regions worldwide. Within the BTS practice we serve renewable energy clients that develop, build, own, and operate renewable energy projects, such as wind, solar, battery storage, geothermal, biomass, and fuel cell projects. If you have a passion for renewable energy and sustainability and have relevant experience, Deloitte Tax LLP (“Deloitte Tax”) may be the place for you! Experience with partnership taxation in other industries and a willingness to learn and retool in the renewable energy industry is an option. A career at Deloitte Tax will provide you with the opportunity to provide high-value tax services to some of the world’s largest companies in the renewable energy industry. Be on the cutting edge of a rapidly growing practice and work with a well-respected team of experience and knowledgeable industry professionals!
What you’ll do
As a Senior within the Sustainability, Climate and Equity: Renewable Energy practice, you will advise clients on tax issues related to renewable energy clients and projects. You will work with an experienced and passionate team in a growing area focused on renewable energy and sustainability, proactively collaborating with colleagues across all member firms – Tax, Advisory, Consulting, and Audit and Assurance. The ideal candidate is invested in the team’s success and effectively facilitates workstreams while working with leadership to identify process improvements and opportunities for new services. The Senior Consultant will ensure accurate, timely completion of deliverables. The ideal candidate will monitor current and proposed tax legislation and regulations related to renewable energy and sustainability, as well as implement client outreach strategies.
Responsibilities will include:
- Support renewable energy client engagements and participate in the targeting of new clients
- Deliver value to clients by identifying opportunities and advising clients on the potential benefits and eligibility requirements related to:
- IRC section 48 Investment Tax Credit
- IRC section 45 Production Tax Credit
- IRC section 45Q Carbon Capture Tax Credit
- IRC section 45V Clean Hydrogen Tax Credit
- Preparation of tax returns and provide advisory services related to the modeling and structuring of renewable energy tax equity structures, such as:
- Partnership flip
- Pass-through lease
- Maintain and develop strong internal and client relationships
- Demonstrate sound judgment and a quality-first mentality with respect to evaluating eligibility for various fact patterns
- Develop process with our colleagues in other technical specialties and other materials to perform benefit calculations
- Collaborate with member firms, including Advisory and Consulting, to execute work streams, such as valuation studies, tax equity modeling, and life cycle assessment (“LCA”) studies
- Identify potential issues and propose solutions to leadership, as well as implement process improvement strategies
- Ensure accurate and timely delivery of engagement deliverables, which may include presentation decks, executive summaries, credit calculations, completed tax forms, supporting files, memoranda, and IRS audit responses
- Monitor legislative and regulatory tax developments and work with the team to present potential opportunities to assist clients
- Provide support with various internal initiatives and special tax related projects
We have dedicated tax professionals that are committed to executing on implementing our firm strategy with respect to supporting our clients with their Sustainability, Climate and Equity initiatives. The professionals that support this important Strategic Growth Offering are based in various service lines across tax. Business Tax Services (“BTS”) is a national practice within Deloitte Tax. Deloitte delivers a holistic and coordinated approach to complex tax issues. BTS subject matter and industry specialists provide services relevant to the multiple jurisdictions and countries where our clients do business. We assist clients with their global tax challenges and help them to transform their tax department and to create greater impact for their organization. Our spectrum of business tax services is relevant for public and private companies, and range from tax planning to tax compliance, controversy, and risk management, including tax credits, government incentives, and tax management consulting.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, law, business administration, economics, or related field
- 3+ years’ experience in related field
- One of the following accreditations obtained, in process, or willing and able to obtain:
- Licensed CPA in state of practice/primary office if eligible to sit for the CPA
- If not CPA eligible:
- Licensed attorney
- Enrolled Agent
- Other- Chartered Financial Advisor (CFA) or Certified Financial Planner (CFP) may also be acceptable depending on the specific role and business approval
- Ability to travel 25%, on average, based on the work you do and the clients and industries/sectors you serve
- Advanced degree such as Masters of Tax, JD, and/or LLM
- Strong organizational and time management skills with a demonstrated ability to work independently and manage multiple, competing priorities
- Experience working in a virtual and/or global environment
- Demonstrated analytical and research skills, as well as effective verbal and written communication skills
- Proven leadership skills demonstrating strong judgment, problem-solving, and decision-making abilities
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and proactively develop internal and external working relationships
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel
- Passion for leveraging technology and exploring new technology solutions
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Excellent presentation and communications skills
- Previous Big 4 or large CPA or law firm experience
The wage range for this role takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to skill sets; experience and training; licensure and certifications; and other business and organizational needs. The disclosed range estimate has not been adjusted for the applicable geographic differential associated with the location at which the position may be filled. At Deloitte, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role and compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case. A reasonable estimate of the current range is $63,700 to $139,100.
You may also be eligible to participate in a discretionary annual incentive program, subject to the rules governing the program, whereby an award, if any, depends on various factors, including, without limitation, individual and organizational performance.
From developing a stand out resume to putting your best foot forward in the interview, we want you to feel prepared and confident as you explore opportunities at Deloitte. Check out recruiting tips from Deloitte recruiters. Benefits
At Deloitte, we know that great people make a great organization. We value our people and offer employees a broad range of benefits. Learn more about what working at Deloitte can mean for you. Our people and culture
Our diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture empowers our people to be who they are, contribute their unique perspectives, and make a difference individually and collectively. It enables us to leverage different ideas and perspectives, and bring more creativity and innovation to help solve our client most complex challenges. This makes Deloitte one of the most rewarding places to work. Learn more about our inclusive culture.
From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there’s always room to learn. We offer opportunities to build new skills, take on leadership opportunities and connect and grow through mentorship. From on-the-job learning experiences to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career.
Something looks off?