Strategic Tax Review - State and Local Tax Senior - Multistate
Are you a strategic and creative Income and Franchise Tax professional who enjoys working on complex state income tax issues? Are you ready to make a greater impact on organizations by combining tax consulting solutions and innovative technologies that align the tax function with the business objectives?
We are looking for sharp, analytical Tax Seniors, ready to take on new challenges, to join the State Strategic Tax Review group and work with a team focused entirely on delivering valuable, unique and innovative services to our Clients.
Deloitte’s State Strategic Tax Review (SSTR) group is a subset of our Multistate Tax Services (MTS) group which is one the largest State and Local Tax (SALT) practices in the United States with more than 1,000 professionals nationwide. Our SSTR professionals have a deep technical knowledge base in income and franchise tax reporting with a focus on how our Client’s businesses are reflected in the tax returns from a tax base and apportionment perspective. We have an innate curiosity to learn new things by often addressing unique issues on each project-based unique Client engagement. We approach every Client and technical issue with a sense of urgency to stay at the forefront and deliver for our Client’s effectively. Our team operates on a national basis, which gives us flexibility to work on a variety of clients and locations or focus on certain industries.
Work you’ll do
As a Senior in the SSTR group you will be a valuable member on tax engagements and provide state tax consulting services to a diverse client base in various industry sectors. You will continue to grow your technical knowledge in state taxation by working on large, complex tax projects, have access to exceptional training and resources, and continue to develop your supervisory and leadership skills.
Responsibilities will include:
- Assisting with various state and local tax consulting projects including deep technical issues surrounding areas such as apportionment methodologies, tax base modifications and Tax Reform
- Researching and analyzing new facts patterns and laws, regulations, cases and administrative guidance and coordination with our Innovation professionals
- Comprehensive review of information to understand a Client’s business and its tax returns, including a deep understanding of the mechanics of state tax returns
- Assuring that key milestones on our phased projects are met and approached with a sense of urgency
- Advising clients on strategies to address technical issues and business restructurings systematically in an effective and efficient manner
- Supporting the engagement workflow management and mentoring tax consultants and interns on assigned engagements.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, or related field.
- One of the following accreditations obtained, in process, or willing able to obtain:
- Licensed CPA in state of practice/primary office if eligible to sit for the CPA
- If not CPA eligible:
- Licensed attorney
- Enrolled Agent
- 2+ years’ experience in state and local tax; 2+ years with income and franchise tax.
- 2+ years’ experience with state tax planning, tax research, and tax analysis.
- Experience preparing and/or reviewing state income and franchise tax returns.
- Ability to travel 10%, on average, based on the work you do and the clients and industries/sectors you serve
- Advanced degree such as Masters of Tax, JD and/or LLM.
- Previous Big 4 or large CPA firm experience. Preferably in a consulting-focused role.
- Supervisory experience.
From developing a stand out resume to putting your best foot forward in the interview, we want you to feel prepared and confident as you explore opportunities at Deloitte. Check out recruiting tips from Deloitte recruiters. Benefits
At Deloitte, we know that great people make a great organization. We value our people and offer employees a broad range of benefits. Learn more about what working at Deloitte can mean for you. Our people and culture
Our diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture empowers our people to be who they are, contribute their unique perspectives, and make a difference individually and collectively. It enables us to leverage different ideas and perspectives, and bring more creativity and innovation to help solve our client most complex challenges. This makes Deloitte one of the most rewarding places to work. Learn more about our inclusive culture.
From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there’s always room to learn. We offer opportunities to build new skills, take on leadership opportunities and connect and grow through mentorship. From on-the-job learning experiences to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career.