State Income and Franchise Tax Senior Manager - Multistate
Do you enjoy building new client relationships and nurturing existing ones to grow an already existing and successful State and Local Tax practice? Are you ready to make a greater impact on organizations by having the right people on your team to combine tax consulting solutions and innovative technologies that align the tax function with the business objectives to the additional business you bring in?
We are looking for sharp, analytical Tax Senior Managers to join our Income and Franchise Tax team and assist in growing and maintaining one of the largest Multistate Tax practices in the United States.
Deloitte’s Multistate Tax Services (MTS) group is one of the largest State and Local Tax (SALT) practices in the United States with more than 1,000 professionals nationwide. Our Multistate Tax professionals include former state tax auditors and administrators, industry personnel, tax practitioners, accounting specialists, and technology personnel with numerous years of multistate tax experience. Collectively, our team has significant experience with the requirements and nuances of jurisdictions in all 50 states. Our specific services include state income and franchise tax, indirect tax, business restructuring, credits and incentives, sales and use tax outsourcing, excise tax, property tax, state strategic tax review, and state tax controversy.
Work you’ll do
As a Senior Manager within the Multistate Tax Services group, you will identify innovative and effective tax solutions for new and existing clients in various industry sectors. You will work directly with the client, have access to an elite group of specialists when needed, and be connected to a strong support system from firm Leadership to ensure you are set up for success in your role and career.
Responsibilities will include:
- Maintaining and developing strong client relationships on various state tax consulting / compliance engagements.
- Identifying client needs and leveraging Deloitte’s range of services and extensive resources to meet those needs and cross selling among various lines of service.
- Acting as a trusted business advisor to clients on a variety of issues including multistate tax planning, accounting for income taxes, restructuring, audit defense, and due diligence.
- Managing/overseeing complex state tax research, formulating tax-planning strategies, and performing state tax reviews.
- Managing engagement profitability, billings to clients, and engagement team resources.
- Drafting and presenting business proposals to new and existing clients.
- Providing leadership, counseling, and career guidance for the development and motivation of the engagement team.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or related field.
- 10+ years’ progressive experience in state and local tax; Specifically, income and franchise tax.
- 4+ years of recent experience managing teams, projects/engagements and budgets.
- Experience growing and managing a book of business and developing a reputation as a subject matter expert within state income and franchise tax in your market.
- Ability to travel 10%, on average, based on the work you do and the clients and industries/sectors you serve
- One of the following accreditations obtained:
- Licensed CPA in state of practice/primary office if eligible to sit for the CPA
- If not CPA eligible:
- Licensed attorney
- Enrolled Agent
- Advanced degree such as Masters of Tax or JD and/or LLM.
- Demonstrable influencing skills and the ability to create an atmosphere of trust across teams, service lines and clients.
- Advanced knowledge and experience with state tax compliance, tax planning, tax analysis, and tax research.
- Adept communicator with strong tax technical writing skills, comfortable creating and delivering presentations across all levels of an organization, with the ability to articulate complex tax issues in a simplified manner.
- Advanced knowledge of OneSource, GoSystems and/or similar tax software.
- Previous consulting experience from a large accounting or law firm.
From developing a stand out resume to putting your best foot forward in the interview, we want you to feel prepared and confident as you explore opportunities at Deloitte. Check out recruiting tips from Deloitte recruiters. Benefits
At Deloitte, we know that great people make a great organization. We value our people and offer employees a broad range of benefits. Learn more about what working at Deloitte can mean for you. Our people and culture
Our diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture empowers our people to be who they are, contribute their unique perspectives, and make a difference individually and collectively. It enables us to leverage different ideas and perspectives, and bring more creativity and innovation to help solve our client most complex challenges. This makes Deloitte one of the most rewarding places to work. Learn more about our inclusive culture.
From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there’s always room to learn. We offer opportunities to build new skills, take on leadership opportunities and connect and grow through mentorship. From on-the-job learning experiences to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career.
Something looks off?