Tax Manager - Credits & Incentives
Our Global Investment and Innovation Incentives (“Gi3”) practice provides our clients a broad range of government credits and incentives (“C&I”) services across more than 150 countries and regions worldwide. With over 1,000 practitioners, the Gi3 tax team is a national team of specialists dedicated to providing comprehensive tax C&I services.
If you have a passion for sustainability, community development, or cutting-edge research and development and have relevant experience in C&I, Deloitte Tax LLP’s (“Deloitte Tax”) Gi3 service line may be the place for you! A career in the Gi3 practice will provide you with the opportunity to work on tax incentive engagements which you know will require complex insight for some of the world's largest companies in a variety of industries. Be on the cutting edge of a rapidly growing practice and work with a well-respected team of proven innovators!
Work you'll do:
As a Manager, you will identify eligible federal C&I generating activities and manage and facilitate the analysis and documentation of such opportunities. This is often unfamiliar territory for businesses that may not have the personnel or resources needed to keep up with the evolving legislation in these areas or complete the paperwork required to file a claim. You will work with an experienced and passionate team in a growing area, proactively collaborating with colleagues across all member firms – Tax, Advisory, Consulting, and Audit and Assurance.
The ideal candidate is invested in the team’s success and effectively manages workstreams while working with leadership to identify process improvements and opportunities for new services. The Manager will ensure accurate, timely completion of deliverables. The ideal candidate will monitor current and proposed tax legislation and regulation related to federal credits & incentives, as well as implement client outreach strategies.
Responsibilities will include:
- Managing federal credits and incentives opportunities including Research and Development tax credit/deduction analyses, New Markets Tax Credit, Qualified Opportunity Zones, Sustainability and Renewable Energy tax credits, and other federal credit incentive service offerings
- Deliver value to clients by identifying opportunities and advise clients on potential benefit and eligibility requirements
- Maintain and develop strong internal and client relationships
- Leveraging your extensive technical skills developed through your growing reputation in a given industry/service offering to solve complex issues
- Demonstrating sound judgement and instincts with respect to evaluating complex scenarios involving various credits and incentives opportunities
- Developing, mentoring, and motivating Consultants and Senior Consultants, providing counseling and career guidance
- Identify potential issues and propose solutions to leadership, as well as implement process improvement strategies
- Ensure accurate and timely delivery of engagement deliverables, which may include presentation decks, executive summaries, credit calculations, completed tax forms, supporting files, memoranda, and IRS audit responses
- Monitor legislative and regulatory tax developments and work with the team to present potential opportunities to assist clients
National Federal Tax Services (NFTS) is a national practice within Deloitte Tax LLP made up of several tax service offerings. Each NFTS service offering has been developed and built as a result of a tax planning idea, marketplace needs, or a technological innovation - all with the purpose of delivering results for our clients. Our people are entrepreneurial in spirit and have always had the work-hard/play-hard mentality. NFTS service lines provide tax planning and compliance support for the largest organizations across all industries.
The Global Investment & Innovation Incentives (Gi3) tax team is a national team of specialists dedicated to providing comprehensive tax credit and incentive services, including the Research and Development credit, the New Market Tax Credit, Qualified Opportunity Zones, Renewable Energy tax credits, and other federal credits. These benefits are offered for activities conducted in the United States, as well as research performed in over 30 other countries that offer research incentives.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, engineering, technology, or related field
- 5+ years' experience in related field
- Proven knowledge of R&D tax incentives experience and/or experience with New Markets Tax Credits, Qualified Opportunity Zones, or Renewable Energy tax credits
- Strong organizational and time management skills with a demonstrated ability to work independently and manage multiple, competing priorities
- Demonstrated analytical and research skills, as well as effective verbal and written communication skills
- Proven leadership skills demonstrating strong judgment, problem-solving, and decision-making abilities
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and proactively develop internal and external working relationships
- Ability to travel 25%, on average, based on the work you do and the clients and industries/sectors you serve.
- One of the following accreditations obtained:
- Licensed CPA in state of practice/primary office if eligible to sit for the CPA
- If not CPA eligible:
- Licensed attorney
- Enrolled Agent
- PE (Professional Engineer)
- Advanced degree such as MST, MAcc, LLM, or JD
- Experience with tax technical research (e.g., CCH, Hein, Lexis, RIA, etc.)
- Experience with Federal or State and Local C&I
- Experience with sustainability technologies or environmental sciences
- Big 4 experience or large CPA or law firm experience
From developing a stand out resume to putting your best foot forward in the interview, we want you to feel prepared and confident as you explore opportunities at Deloitte. Check out recruiting tips from Deloitte recruiters.
At Deloitte, we know that great people make a great organization. We value our people and offer employees a broad range of benefits. Learn more about what working at Deloitte can mean for you.
Our diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture empowers our people to be who they are, contribute their unique perspectives, and make a difference individually and collectively. It enables us to leverage different ideas and perspectives, and bring more creativity and innovation to help solve our client most complex challenges. This makes Deloitte one of the most rewarding places to work. Learn more about our inclusive culture.
From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there’s always room to learn. We offer opportunities to build new skills, take on leadership opportunities and connect and grow through mentorship. From on-the-job learning experiences to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career.