The GSR Foundation - Trustee
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2023
The GSR Foundation
Role Title: Trustee
Works with: Colleagues on the Board, the Chair of the Foundation, the Executive Director.
Background: Technology, Management, Finance, Strategy & Governance, Fundraising, Legal, Risk.
About the GSR Foundation
The GSR Foundation is a grant-making CIO, primarily funded by an annual donation from GSR - a leading cryptocurrency market-maker. We fund a wide range of projects and activities that are exclusively charitable and fall within our objects: To advance such charitable purposes as the trustees see fit from time to time for the public benefit and by the making of grants and awards towards, in particular but not limited to:advancing education and promoting diversity and equality of opportunity in the areas of:
1) business and entrepreneurship (B&E), and;
2) science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM).
The GSR Foundation achieves these objects primarily through grant-making, augmented with pro-bono consultancy, training and dissemination of intellectual property where we share our learning with interested parties.
General Trustee Responsibilities
- Supporting the Chair to implement and maintain the overall governance and strategic direction of the GSR Foundation.
- Ensuring all relevant policies are in place and are complied with.
- Supporting the GSR Foundation to develop and implement an effective and impactful grantmaking strategy, and ensuring that decisions made are in line with the charitable objects.
- General financial accountability, including monitoring the financial position of the GSR Foundation, risk management, and ensuring it operates within its means.
- Developing a reserves policy to safeguard the organisation’s finances.
- Advocating for the GSR Foundation publicly; introducing our work to potentially interested parties.
- Ensuring that the necessary CIO administration is carried out in a complete and timely fashion.
- Fully participating in the role: scrutinising papers, attending all meetings, and following up on specific actions arising.
- Passionate about the vision and mission of the GSR Foundation.
- A willingness to learn and stay abreast of relevant charity legislation and the issues affecting the people the GSR Foundation serves with its grantmaking.
- Willing to fully commit to the role - attending and actively participating in meetings and supporting your colleagues.
- Personal experience of some of the issues the GSR Foundation seeks to address with its grantmaking.
- Experience of working with accountants and in regulated environments.
- Knowledge of charity SORP and impending changes to charity regulation.
- Competent use of IT skills.
- Proven ability to communicate and explain financial information to members of the Board and other stakeholders.
- Analytical and evaluation skills, demonstrating good judgement.
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship.
- Good communication and leadership skill.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience of charity fundraising and/or finance practices.
- Dedicated to the organisation’s cause and objectives and willing to act as the charity’s ambassador to external bodies, charities and companies.
- Skills and experience in one or more areas of non-executive governance and management e.g. strategic planning, business management, financial/accountancy, understanding of HR issues, experience of Trusts or other grant giving bodies particularly fundraising and legal knowledge.
- A team-oriented approach to problem solving and to management.
Time Commitment & Administration
The Board meets 6 times a year (in scheduled board meetings). These meetings are hybrid (meaning you can join from anywhere) but we expect that the board will come together in person at least twice a year. Board meetings are typically 90 minutes, with about 30 minutes of pre-reading. Relevant papers are sent 5 working days in advance. In addition, we have an annual 'half-day’ where we have an explicit strategic focus.
Please note this is a voluntary position, and as such does not attract any renumeration. Reasonable expenses will be reimbursed incurred as a result of Foundation business.
Board meetings are held at one of GSR’s offices, with the option to join by video call.
*Applicants should include a cover note articulating their interest and suitability for the role
See more open positions at GSR Markets
Something looks off?