Keen to become part of a truly global, collaborative team of professionals? Your journey begins here.
The Assistant is a key member of our legal team, who puts clients first while helping attorneys maximize the amount of time they can devote to client matters. The Assistant performs a variety of organizational and administrative tasks, which include providing a high level of customer service and support for the following roles: Partner, Counsel, and Associate while consistently producing an excellent work product.
The Assistant is expected to maintain a general knowledge of business services policies and procedures, practice areas and clients of the firm. The Assistant must also maintain confidentiality regarding extremely sensitive matters and materials related to clients and the firm.
The job description sets forth the core framework of responsibilities as outlined:
ORGANIZATION, SCHEDULING and CONTACT MAINTENANCE
- Schedule and maintain attorney calendars. Schedule meetings with clients and colleagues in different time zones around the world.
- Review and triage attorney emails and phone calls. Reduce administrative burden on assigned attorneys so they are able to maximize time spent on client matters.
- Maintain contact and other pertinent information within Outlook and the firmwide contact, billing, and marketing databases.
- Arrange meetings and coordinate video/audio conferencing, room assignments, hand-outs, and catering requests with clients and internal team.
TRAVEL and EXPENSES
- Coordinate travel arrangements through the in-house Travel Department. Maintain travel information in Outlook. Handle changes and cancelations in a timely manner to ensure fees are minimized.
- Prepare and submit fee-earners’ expense reports in a timely manner.
- Prepare a variety of forms and create and save new documents using the established document processing methods and procedures of the firm.
- Create, edit, spell check, and proofread work product to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Organize and maintain administrative and client files; prepare indexes and files for electronic and off-site storage.
- Coordinate and work closely with the Records Department to safeguard confidential records.
TIME RECORDING/BILLING GENERATION
- Input, review, edit, and close time entries through the web-based time entry program using Firm standards.
- Manage monthly client billing (paper and electronic). Review and edit billing proformas for accuracy and completeness; distribute to fee-earners for review; and complete client and fee-earner inquiries.
- Prepare and process third-party vendor invoices to align with the applicable client invoices.
- Review monthly bills for consistency in narrative edits and hours billed by attorneys working on the same matter.
- Monitor client budgets and complete spreadsheets comparing spend to budget.
- Works directly with clients to ensure they have the information they need to pay bills on time.
- Arrange for payment of client billing vendor invoices or checks to be drawn and charged to appropriate client/matter numbers.
- Prepare third-party client and firm related invoices and arrange for payments to be drawn and charged to the appropriate billable numbers.
NEW BUSINESS and CLIENT RELATIONS
- Generate client conflict inquiries; open new matters and prepare and maintain engagement letters.
- Put clients first and build effective working relationships with them. Interact directly with a wide range of clients from around the world in a friendly, helpful, and professional matter.
- Respond to customer/client requests in a skilled and timely manner.
- Respond to internal client requests effectively and courteously, in person, by telephone and written communication to attorneys and business services professionals.
LEGAL PRACTICE AREA SUPPORT
- The Assistant is expected to provide exceptional support in document preparation specific to practice area requirements.
- Prepare annual and/or supplemental audit letter responses, quarterly Lobbying Disclosure Act reports, memorandums, correspondence, pleadings, and document binders.
- Prepare practice specific court and legislative filings.
- Assume responsibility for preserving the highest level of confidentiality of all firm and client information, records, and files, both within and outside of the firm.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIRED SKILLS
- 5+ years of office experience required.
- Law firm experience preferred.
- Exceptional attention to detail and excellent organizational skills.
- Creative problem solver with “can do” attitude.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word (2010).
- Excellent grammar, spelling, punctuation, and communication skills.
- Flexible attitude and the ability to deal well with changing assignments and priorities.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with lawyers, business services employees, and clients.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize projects, meet deadlines, and maximize productivity.
- Ability to work independently without supervision; and collaborate effectively with team members.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use discretion regarding highly sensitive matters and materials.
- Professional appearance and demeanor.
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATIONS, AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Law firm or related experience strongly desired, preferably in a large firm or large company environment.
- 5+ years previous experience required.
- College degree preferred.
- All members of the firm are encouraged to participate in our global Responsible Business initiatives.
Core hours are Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., including lunch hour, with flexibility for overtime as needed.
The job description sets forth the authorities and responsibilities of this position and may be changed from time to time as shall be determined.
Hogan Lovells is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information or protected Veteran status.