Complex Commercial Litigation Associate
Keen to become part of a truly global, collaborative team of professionals? Your journey begins here.
Complex Commercial Litigation
35 hours per week, 9:30am to 5:30pm but additional hours may be required. We are happy to consider agile and flexible working patterns. Our approach to hybrid working allows for up to 40% of time working from home and 60% working in the office, please contact a member of the recruitment team to discuss further.
Hogan Lovells is one of the leading global law firms. Our distinctive market position is founded on our exceptional breadth of our practice, on deep industry knowledge, and on our 'one team' global approach. Formed through the combination of two top international law firms, Hogan Lovells has over 40 offices in the Americas, Asia-Pacific, Europe, the Middle East and Africa. With a presence in the world's major financial and commercial markets, we are well placed to provide excellent business-oriented advice to our clients locally and internationally. Our people are the key to our success, which is why we seek to recruit and retain the most talented individuals in all regions of our global practice.
Hogan Lovells’ award winning LAE practice is a global litigation powerhouse that gets the best results for its clients. Its industry knowledge and strategic insight ensure that litigation serves the best interests of the world's leading companies. We have appeared in more cases in the English courts than any other firm. We also appear in the courts of every other major jurisdiction from the Supreme Court of the United States to the DIFC courts in Dubai to the High Court in Hong Kong.
Our Complex Commercial Litigation team in London handles a wide variety of commercial and corporate litigation matters, with a particular focus on complex multi-jurisdictional commercial disputes, joint venture disputes, shareholders disputes, large-scale professional negligence claims and bankruptcy litigation. The practice is very busy with a significant caseload and pipeline, and is looking for dynamic team players to add to its growing practice.
The team is ranked in “Band 1” for Commercial Litigation in all the leading directories. Our work also routinely attracts press coverage (both trade publications and nationally), and wins awards.
- Acting for BAT Industries in various sets of proceedings arising from the US$1 billion clean-up of the Fox River in the U.S., including proceedings brought by BAT against PwC in the High Court and against Sequana S.A in the Supreme Court in relation to the payment of around US$800 million in dividends by Windward Prospects Ltd to Sequana.
- Acting for a Swiss headquartered oil trading company in its defence of a significant Commercial Court claim concerning a disputed Contract of Affreightment.
- Acting for one of the world’s leading manufacturers of automotive parts in a High Court claim against one of its suppliers.
- Acting for a global pharmaceutical company in a dispute relating to the development of new medicinal products.
- Acting for a large global mobile network operator and its UK subsidiary in respect of a competition claim brought by an indirect distributor of mobile phone connections against all of the large mobile network operators in the UK.
- Acting for the administrators of one of the Lehman Group entities following the fall-out of the Lehman Group collapse, in two separate applications to determine the relative priority of various subordinated debts in its estate and in the estate of another Lehman Group subsidiary, as well as advising on the administration more generally.
Key Responsibilities / Accountabilities
- Understanding of legal principles of own practice area, along with a working knowledge of other practice areas.
- Has project management responsibility, ensuring timely delivery to high quality standards.
- Stays aware of legal developments affecting any specialist areas and regularly attends appropriate training sessions.
- Builds good working relationships with clients.
- Has responsibility for actively managing client projects to ensure profitability, quality and strong client relationships.
- Actively works to develop and strengthen new client relationships.
Team Work and Interpersonal Skills
- Acts as a source of advice to others, sharing knowledge and expertise.
- Has the ability to manage, develop and lead more junior members of a team.
- Is able to work effectively with others.
- Understands the market in which the practice and clients operate.
- Contributes to the management of the group/practice area by understanding the areas of specialism, the firm’s capabilities and business plans.
- Takes an active role in managing the firm's reputation both in and out of work.
- Understands the responsibility to give back to our communities.
- Understands the value of a diverse workforce.
Specific duties or responsibilities may be reviewed from time to time to reflect changes in personnel and management structure, staff location or services.
All members of the firm participate in our Responsible Business program
We have an opening for first rate disputes lawyer with experience of complex commercial, corporate and/or financial services disputes. Whilst not an essential requirement, experience in company law issues and/or shareholder/JV disputes, or in disputes arising in an insolvency or restructuring context would be welcome.
The successful candidate will have outstanding technical skills, together with the ability to build relationships with clients and colleagues and work well in a team. They will be pro-active, forensic and enquiring in their approach to analysing issues in cases and have a real desire to challenge themselves and take on responsibility.
Candidates will have between one and four years post qualification experience (or equivalent experience). Experience gained within a top tier firm is preferred. It is essential that candidates have a strong academic background (minimum 2.1 degree) with excellent written communication and drafting skills
Agile Working Statement
Our goal is to embed flexibility across our business by giving everyone the opportunity to work in an agile way, whether as a regular pattern or on an ad hoc basis, and we will be happy to discuss this further.
Equal Opportunities Employment Statement
It is the policy of Hogan Lovells to provide equal opportunities for all employees in relation to recruitment, training and promotion. Decisions in these areas will be made only by reference to the requirements of the job and shall not be influenced by any consideration of age, disability, ethnic origin, gender identity, religion, sex or sexual orientation.