Mandarin Chinese-Speaking International Trade Paralegal
Keen to become part of a truly global, collaborative team of professionals? Your journey begins here.
We are seeking a Paralegal Clerk who is fluent in both English and Mandarin Chinese. Paralegal Clerks who work in the International Trade and Investment Practice Area provide support to lawyers across a variety of cutting-edge international trade matters, including trade litigation, trade and investment policy research, international arbitration, trade controls disclosures, filings before the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States, and customs disclosures and analyses. Strong computer skills, including MS Excel and other computer programming abilities, are required. Successful Paralegal Clerks take initiative to innovate solutions to everyday challenges, demonstrate strong attention to detail, exercise sound judgment, possess excellent communication skills, and are friendly and team-minded. They are adaptable in the office and at client sites, which may include international locations. Paralegal Clerks are vital team members of the International Trade and Investment group and take on significant responsibility to manage processes for projects alongside attorneys and clients.
- Manage large government filings, including management of translations between English and Chinese, redaction, editing of documents, management of data, and other case management responsibilities;
- Assist with document translation, retrieval, review, organization, and receipt of Chinese-language and English-language materials received from co-counsel and client;
- Engage with both mandarin Chinese speaking and English-speaking clients regarding the preparation of filings to the U.S. Government, which may involve international travel (especially to Greater China);
- Assist attorneys with many aspects of their work to provide advice to Chinese-speaking and English-speaking client;
- Retrieve, organize, and index Chinese-language and English-language documents related to case files;
- Organize and prepare case and matter trackers;
- Coordinate work with outside document/litigation vendors, including adherence to strict deadlines;
- Maintain confidentiality of client information;
- Assist on pro bono matters;
- All members of the firm are encouraged to participate in our Global Citizenship program; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in both Mandarin Chinese and English;
- Excellent attention to detail;
- Ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment with or without direct supervision;
- Strong Excel and other computer skills.
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATIONS, AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- BA/BS degree or equivalent experience preferred (Economics or Information Technology familiarity is a plus).
- This position has a billable requirement of 1,500 hours per year.
Core hours are Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., including one hour for lunch, with flexibility for overtime as needed.
This job description sets forth the authorities and responsibilities of this position and may be changed from time to time as shall be determined.
Hogan Lovells is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or other factors protected by law.
Hogan Lovells is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information or protected Veteran status.