Site Reliability Engineer - Midnight
We are looking for a talented Site Reliability Engineer who will be a key contributor on the Midnight team deploying leading edge technology in one of the most exciting fields in the world. Midnight is a regulatory-friendly data protection-based blockchain that safeguards sensitive commercial and personal data. Midnight protects fundamental freedoms of association, commerce, and expression for developers, companies, and individuals. Midnight use cases utilize a novel data protection-first programming model and ZK proofs while operating as a Cardano sidechain.
As a Service Reliability Engineer at Midnight you will work with our engineering team to plan and implement large-scale, massively distributed, fault-tolerant system deployments. You will be responsible for maintaining and upgrading highly available, highly responsive services to support Midnight’s community. You will work closely with internal domain experts to ensure that our internally critical and our externally-visible systems have reliability, uptime appropriate to users’ needs, and a fast rate of improvement. You will also keep an ever-watchful eye on our systems’ capacity and performance.
- Engage in and improve the whole lifecycle of services—from inception and design, deployment, operation, and refinement.
- Support services before they go live through activities such as system design consulting, developing software platforms and frameworks, capacity planning, and launch reviews.
- Maintain services once they are live by measuring and monitoring availability, latency, and overall system health.
- Support our teams to write software that is simple and flexible to configure and deploy.
- Collaborate with agile teams to establish and maintain automated regression suite infrastructure and performance testing infrastructure.
- Scale systems sustainably through mechanisms like automation; evolve systems by pushing for changes that improve reliability and velocity.
- Explore and implement latest best practices ranging from open telemetry to zero trust architectures, from 12-factor design to hybrid remote-local development environments.
- Practice sustainable incident response and blameless postmortems.
- SysAdmin experience administering application servers, containers, and web servers
- Datacenter Scheduler experience with schedulers like kubernetes, mesos, nomad or – although not a dc scheduler – very extensive systemd experience
- Command line fluency
- Code discovery fluency with tools like `grep` or `ripgrep`
- Fluency in git based workflows, commit discipline
- Scripting and programming skills
- Experience with continuous integration tools
- Experience with AWS, Google Compute, or other cloud providers
- Proficient English language and communication skills
Education / Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, a related technical field involving software/systems engineering, or equivalent practical experience is desirable
- Ability to debug, optimize, and automate routine tasks
- Proven years of experience in Build and Release engineering, Linux operational excellence and automation
- Systematic problem-solving approach, coupled with effective communication skills and a sense of drive
- You will be someone who works well on your own and with a team
- You are kind and respectful of others’ opinions and you are open and act with integrity when engaging in academic or technical discussions.
IOG is a fully distributed organization but due to team distribution, we require someone to be based either in the United States, preferably on the East Coast, or in Ireland / UK.
The base salary for this position has a range of $96k up to $130k per year at the commencement of employment. Any offer is determined by overall experience and performance during the interview process. This is only part of the total compensation package.
- Flexible schedule
- Remote work – ability to work anywhere
- Laptop reimbursement
- New starter package to buy hardware essentials (headphones, monitor, etc)
- Learning & Development opportunities
- Competitive PTO and Sick Leave plan
- Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits coverage through Anthem for the employee and dependents
- Health Savings Account
- Life Insurance
UK & Ireland Employees
- Monthly Health Stipend to use towards any wellness or medical coverage/service
At IOG, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Something looks off?