Head of Software Engineering - Smart Contracts
As Head of Software Engineer, at IOG, you will be responsible for leading all technical aspects of the Tribe. You will lead the engineering delivery to reach objectives and synchronize their work all along the project’s life cycle. You will work closely with our Head of Product, Head of Architecture and Head of Delivery to ensure that we set the right technical specifications and requirements, to define and execute on a healthy and progressive product and technical strategy that maximizes efficiency and output for the Tribe.
You will report to the Director of Software Engineering (Chapter Director).
This is a senior leadership role in IOG where you will have the opportunity to shape the direction of the company. You are responsible for ensuring that the Tribe delivers high quality code and engineering outputs based on clear technical requirements and also to ensure that the Tribe’s standards are high, and that technical debt is managed effectively.
You will be responsible for leading the delivery of all Tribe products. You and your team will work closely with product management, architects, and PMO, and work towards software where we can produce evidence that it meets the requirements. In order to achieve this, you will need to use a wide range of quality assurance methods, including but not limited to, performance testing, regression testing, integration testing, end-to-end testing, unit tests.
As IOG continues to grow, it is expected that your team will cover the whole software development lifecycle. You and your team will work with product management to capture and formalize requirements, produce specifications, and turn those specifications into production code, which are adequately tested.
This is primarily a team management position, with multiple teams to manage, where you will also contribute to high level technical guidance.
With the comprehensive overview over the technical aspects of IOGs products this position will give you, You will be expected to use this to assist the communications department when they need to convey technical information to our customers and community.
- Manage a Tribe’s software engineering team(s) including software and test engineers.
- Ensure the technical feasibility of the project including but not limited to ensuring that our solutions are scalable, sustainable, architecturally sound, and that technical debt is incurred consciously and repaid in a reasonable time.
- Assist the Product team to ensure software meets business requirements
- Propose and negotiate project requirements with the Product Owners
- Ensure the delivery of products as defined and in time in line with business objectives
- Contribute technical and systems design expertise to assist in the architectural design, development, implementation, and testing of software.
- Work on technical strategy and roadmaps, regularly assessing the technical state of squads, advocating for best practices broadly, and providing focused mentoring to squads.
- Ensure that the technical requirements for code as part of PI Planning are of a high quality.
- Contribute to architectural decisions and the design of solutions to resolve challenging problems.
- Determine and define clear deliverables, roles and responsibilities for team members required for specific projects or initiatives.
- Work closely with executive teams, UI/UX designers, software architects, software engineers, test engineers, site reliability engineers, product managers to produce high-quality products and features through the software project lifecycle (build, test and release on time).
- Maintain high standards of software quality within the team by establishing best practices. Follow and pro-actively implement appropriate coding standards.
- Identify the staffing and resourcing requirements that are needed to achieve delivery goals, and guide budget owners to allocate resources effectively
- Monitor the progress and performance of projects to ensure timely and effective delivery.
- Report on progress and estimate delivery delays.
As Leaders it is our responsibility to hire, develop and progress our fellow team members. As a Leader there is a need to communicate openly with all members of your team, address any issues head on and not shy away from difficult conversations.
Empowering your team to provide the best results by organizing clear processes and coordinating team efforts should be your top priority.
Please read our Leadership at IO Global document for more information on your duties and responsibilities as a leader at IOG
- Excellent communication skills
- Leadership skills
- People and Process management
- Software engineering
- Agile and continuous improvement
- Program management experience
- Research/Innovation forecasting
- Backend and frontend experience
- Strategic thinking about technical challenges in product development
- Coach and mentor to members in the tribe, helping to problem solve and identify opportunities to enhance development.
- Excellent collaborator within the Tribe Leadership Team regularly, and ensuring clarity is delivered to all members of the tribe
Recommended Education and Experience
- Engineering Graduate or PhD degree
- 10+ years experience in software industry
- 10+ years experience in managing software development teams
- 3+ years experience in managing managers
- Experience working with remote teams
- Experience in coaching teams through agile method and organizational changes
- Proven experience in people management
- Proven experience in strategic planning
- Experience mentoring, coaching and developing rising talent in the technology department
- Experience working in globally distributed teams
- Excellent interpersonal skills so as to be able to relate with people from diverse backgrounds or personnel from different units of the company.
IOG is a fully distributed organization but due to team distribution, we require someone to be based in the United States, preferably on the East Coast or Central.
The base salary for this position has a range of $160k up to $210k per year at the commencement of employment. Any offer is determined by overall experience and performance during the interview process. This is only part of the total compensation package.
- Flexible schedule
- Remote work – ability to work anywhere
- Laptop reimbursement
- New starter package to buy hardware essentials (headphones, monitor, etc)
- Learning & Development opportunities
- Competitive PTO and Sick Leave plan
- Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits coverage through Anthem for the employee and dependents
- Health Savings Account
- Life Insurance
At IOG, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.