- Apr 26, 2023
- 0-25 %
- Real Estate, Facilities, & Construction
- Individual Contributor
- Up to 50% work from home
Cloud Operations + Innovation (CO+I) is the team behind one of the world’s largest cloud infrastructures, responsible for powering all Microsoft online Products and Services as well as powering Microsoft’s “Cloud First” mission. Our focus is on smart growth, high efficiency, and delivering a trusted experience to customers and partners worldwide. We are looking for passionate, high energy program managers to help achieve that mission.
Within CO+I, the Infrastructure, Planning and Acquisition team is responsible for supporting delivery of datacenter capacity for Microsoft’s cloud business. We have a portfolio of complex, multi-disciplinary, multi-million, multi-year datacenter construction and lease projects with specific safety, quality, schedule, and cost goals.
The Strategic Estimator is responsible for the development and maintenance of estimates for all new Technology & Innovative Datacenter builds globally. This role will concentrate on strategic & innovative projects as well as annual baselining of our standard datacenter model which will entail cost estimating and cost management as the overall role.
The Strategic Estimator will manage cost data, communications, schedule meetings and be a point of contact between internal and external parties for specific projects being supported. In addition the Strategic Estimator will work closely with engineering, construction, security, networking, and operations teams throughout each project and ensure cost information is developed and managed meet the requirements of those specific project needs.
The Strategic Estimator will report directly to the Global Estimating Manager and will have dotted-line interactions with Regional Project Estimators & Cost Manager to continue implementing lessons learned.
Being part of this team would give you an opportunity to be part of a rapidly growing business and enable global impact!
In alignment with our Microsoft values, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every day.
- Estimate the cost of our datacenter projects to support the short and long-term plans for the corporation.
- Partner collaboratively with cross-functional teams (design engineering, construction, cost controls functions, scheduling, finance, etc.) to understand requirements and ensure alignment to scope, schedule, and budget.
- Develop and maintain estimating databases and templates specific to the role.
- Report out to senior managers on estimate data, project cost progress and assumptions to ensure a clear and concise message is sent and understood.
- Perform different types of estimates and projects, while keeping delivery dates as a top priority.
- Provide day to day cost management activities, as required, to maintain the projects financial reporting and logging systems i.e. a good understanding of commitments & forecasting spends for monthly, quarterly & the fiscal year.
- Support, develop and improve estimating and cost management processes and procedures.
- Drive standardization and consistency throughout the group.
- Management of all commercial issues on all current, future, and past projects and report on these issues through the Project Controls & Datacenter Dynamics head office in Redmond on a regular basis.
- Bachelor's degree in Construction Project Management, Construction Economics, Quantity Surveying, Architecture, Engineering, or related field AND 10+ years related experience
- OR equivalent experience
- Experience in Hi-Tech Industrial and Mission Critical Facilities
- Experience with full life cycle costing of construction projects
Background Check Requirements:
- Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check every two years thereafter.
- 6+ years of experience managing the estimating or commercials on a major construction portfolio
- Experience developing, maintaining, and reporting out on project scope, schedule, and budget
- Experience with commercial knowledge of construction internationally
- Expertise building the trust of construction partners to agree on large construction contracts
- Experience performing estimates from parametric to bottoms up and high level what-if scenarios
- Analytical, problem-solving skills beyond estimating practice
- Cross-group collaboration skills with a strong ability to influence across teams and organizations
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) full membership; MRICS (Member) or FRICS (Fellow) or equivalent
Construction Project Management IC5 - The typical base pay range for this role across the U.S. is USD $112,200 - $194,800 per year. There is a different range applicable to specific work locations, within the San Francisco Bay area and New York City metropolitan area, and the base pay range for this role in those locations is USD $142,200 - $213,200 per year.
Certain roles may be eligible for benefits and other compensation. Find additional benefits and pay information here: https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/us-corporate-pay
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
- Industry leading healthcare
- Savings and investments
- Giving programs
- Educational resources
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Opportunities to network and connect
- Discounts on products and services
- Generous time away
Something looks off?