Principal Firmware Engineer
Principal Firmware Engineer
- May 2, 2023
- 0-25 %
- Software Engineering
- Individual Contributor
- Up to 50% work from home
Microsoft Silicon and Cloud Hardware Infrastructure Engineering (SCHIE) is the team behind Microsoft’s expanding Cloud Infrastructure and responsible for powering Microsoft’s “Intelligent Cloud” mission. SCHIE delivers the core infrastructure and foundational technologies for Microsoft's over 200 online businesses including Bing, MSN, Office 365, Xbox Live, Skype, OneDrive and the Microsoft Azure platform globally with our server and data center infrastructure, security and compliance, operations, globalization, and manageability solutions. Our focus is on smart growth, high efficiency, and delivering a trusted experience to customers and partners worldwide and we are looking for passionate engineers to help achieve that mission.
Are you passionate about working on cutting edge new technology in a team that embodies the growth mindset? Are you hoping to join an organization which is built on a mission “To empower every person and organization on this planet to achieve more”?
The Firmware Center of Excellence is responsible for Firmware for Azure Infrastructure. We are working on the next generation Firmware for server, GPGPUs, silicon, and rack infrastructure with a focus on innovation in Firmware technology to secure Azure infrastructure for Microsoft and their customers.
We are looking for a highly motivated Principal Firmware Engineer with a background in UEFI firmware architecture and design to work on lighting up these various technologies as each team produces their part. You must have experience with UEFI architecture, x86, bring up of System-on-Chip, root causing issues at the intersection of multiple subsystems across firmware and hardware.
- You will be involved with all phases of product development, from microarchitecture design through firmware architecture and development.
- You will be responsible for leading a team of Firmware/Software Engineers across all phases of product development, from microarchitecture design through firmware architecture and development.
- At the design phase, you will be part of a team driving the architecture, design and development of the various sub-systems including UEFI firmware development of low-level hardware interfaces.
- You will be responsible for firmware level debug as part of end to end firmware development and debug.
- OR equivalent experience.
- 6+ years of professional experience in designing, developing Embedded Software and Firmware solutions.
- Experience working with multiple teams on root-cause-analysis with troubleshooting and debugging skills.
- UEFI design experience resulting into solving complex Hardware/Firmware interface issues.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
- OR equivalent experience.
- The successful candidate should have experience with some or all the following: Peripherals such as PCIe, memory interfaces, OS primitives, memory management, scheduling, interrupts, threading.
- Experience with Implementation of Hardware/Firmware Security and firmware enablement primitives.
- 10+ years of professional experience in designing, developing Embedded Software and Firmware solutions.
- Experience with Architecting, Designing and delivering on new Data Center class technologies across the entire platform.
- Experience with Platform initialization, Board support package integration, low level drivers for peripherals such as PCIe, I2C, eMMC, SPI, USB, UARTs as well as Memory Management, Scheduling, Interrupts and multi-threading.
Software Engineering IC5 - The typical base pay range for this role across the U.S. is USD $133,600 - $256,800 per year. There is a different range applicable to specific work locations, within the San Francisco Bay area and New York City metropolitan area, and the base pay range for this role in those locations is USD $173,200 - $282,200 per year.
Certain roles may be eligible for benefits and other compensation. Find additional benefits and pay information here: https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/us-corporate-pay
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
- Industry leading healthcare
- Savings and investments
- Giving programs
- Educational resources
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Opportunities to network and connect
- Discounts on products and services
- Generous time away
Something looks off?