Tax Compliance Senior / Tax Compliance Manager
At Perkins Coie, we look for self-motivated individuals, dedicated to providing value and superior service and who have a high degree of integrity and enthusiasm for their work. We have created a company culture based on collaboration, devotion to serving our clients, and mutual respect. Perkins Coie is committed to advancing diversity and inclusion both within the firm and throughout our collective communities. Work with one of the 100 Best Companies to Work For and receive great health insurance, tuition reimbursement, and paid sabbaticals.
Responsible for managing the tax compliance of Perkins Coie Law Firm, Investment, and Foundation legal entities by partnering with outside service providers and internal Finance team members. Responsible for monitoring and understanding firmwide transactions to determine tax consequences.
These essential functions are primary job duties that incumbents must be able to perform unassisted or with some reasonable accommodation.
Reports to the Director of Tax Planning & Compliance for all tax aspects related to the firm including:
- Gather and review information from internal resources necessary to file the Federal and State Income Tax estimates, extensions, and tax returns, as well as FBAR’s and Residency Certifications, firmwide.
- Review internally prepared tax work papers for investment entities and foundations.
- Communicate information requests and coordinate for timely filed tax returns with outside service providers for firmwide filing requirements.
- Manage all aspects of state tax composite elections and tax filings firmwide.
- Provide tax estimates and K-1s to partners firmwide.
- Create and maintain a tax calendar for firmwide tax filings.
- Manage, review, and code outside service provider billings.
- Coordinate and communicate due dates and review internal property tax, B&O, and other tax filings.
- Work closely with Investment Accounting professionals to monitor asset transactions and perform due diligence to determine any tax consequences.
- Create and maintain a database for investments, including important tax attributes such as QSBS, accrued interest, note conversion, etc.
- Research the ability to write off investments for tax.
- Gather tax information for tax filings with outside investment companies.
- Review and respond to tax notices as received.
- Manage audits of Federal and State tax filings, as necessary.
- Audit internal tax filings for accuracy.
- Document internal tax positions taken, materiality thresholds, and other transactions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Be present at work during regularly scheduled working hours and as needed in the position, consistent with the firm’s attendance expectations.
SPECIFIC SKILLS REQUIRED
- Demonstrated ability to personally work effectively with partners and other affiliates of the firm, including their CPA’s.
- Working knowledge in flow-through entities.
- Effective multitasking and prioritization skills.
- Strong organization, problem-solving, planning, and decision-making skills.
- Ability to express self effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships throughout operational groups.
- Fluent in MS Office applications, especially Excel.
- Detail oriented, while maintaining focus on the larger picture.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, or equivalent required.
- Requires a master’s degree in taxation or equivalent.
- Requires at least 4 years of progressively responsible tax and accounting experience.
- Prefer a minimum of 2 years of investment asset taxation experience.
This position is eligible for an annual discretionary bonus, 401(k) plan, medical, dental, and vision insurance, accrued paid time off plan starting at 20 days annually, personal medical and parental leave, up to ten paid Holidays, and family care benefits. More information regarding benefits and programs may be found here.
This position may be filled in the following location(s). The compensation depends on qualifications and experience.
San Francisco Bay Area compensation range: $141,920 to $221,610 annually
Colorado compensation range: $111,190 to $173,630 annually
Los Angeles compensation range: $129,490 to $202,200 annually
San Diego compensation range: $127,850 to $199,630 annually
Washington State compensation range: $117,290 to $183,150 annually