Business Development Director
At Perkins Coie, we look for self-motivated individuals, dedicated to providing value and superior service and who have a high degree of integrity and enthusiasm for their work. We have created a company culture based on collaboration, devotion to serving our clients, and mutual respect. Perkins Coie is committed to advancing diversity and inclusion both within the firm and throughout our collective communities. Work with one of the 100 Best Companies to Work For and receive great health insurance, tuition reimbursement, and paid sabbaticals.
The Business Development Director initiates new opportunities for the firm using a proactive, market-facing approach to generate new business. They assist Perkins Coie lawyers (individually and in groups) to expand professional relationships with clients and targeted prospects through lead generation in alignment with assigned practices and industry sectors. This position will support partner efforts to identify, pursue, and close new business opportunities with public companies, working mainly with lawyers who specialize in securities and corporate governance, capital markets, and mergers and acquisitions.
These essential functions are primary job duties that incumbents must be able to perform unassisted or with some reasonable accommodation.
- Work with Business Group practice leaders and partners to identify, prioritize, and pursue high potential M&A and corporate & securities opportunities (chiefly potential new clients and warm prospects, but also new work for existing clients) with public companies primarily in the $1b-$5b market cap range with a focus on technology and health and life sciences sectors.
- Collaborate with Practice and Sector marketing business professionals to develop and implement lead generation programs (campaigns, events, etc.) and leverage leads from existing programs.
- Partner with marketing / competitive intelligence to conduct market research (primary and secondary) to uncover new business opportunities.
- Leverage existing networks and develop new connections to facilitate introductions for the firm’s key lawyers with select business, community, and industry leaders with a focus on in-house lawyers at public companies.
- Work with marketing department business professionals to support efforts to grow visibility with decision-makers in priority market segments and industry sectors.
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
- Be present at work during regularly scheduled working hours and as needed in the position, consistent with the Firm’s attendance expectations.
- This position requires significant travel.
SPECIFIC SKILLS REQUIRED
- Executive-level presence, a high degree of poise, and the ability to interact effectively and build relationships with different constituencies, and influence actions to achieve desired results.
- Proven ability to identify and understand current and future client/potential client business and legal needs.
- Effective within a matrix environment including rapidly building knowledge of the Firm’s expertise, capabilities, structure, and client base.
- Strong interpersonal skills reflecting professionalism, tact, and good judgment.
- Collaborate effectively and influence action without direct authority.
- Successful team player, self-starter, and problem solver.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and strong technical skills in business applications including Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Word, and Salesforce.
SPECIFIC SKILLS PREFERRED
- Demonstrated knowledge and expertise in professional services business development techniques.
- Experience in coverage banking, corporate business development or financial printer sales.
- Established a $1b-$5b market cap public company network.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- A minimum of 15 years of demonstrated success generating new revenue through engaging existing and potential clients, particularly c-suite executives, preferably in-house legal counsel (portable relationships and contacts preferred).
- A proven track record of experience in accurately assessing business development objectives and creating opportunities through key business relationships.
- Experience in legal or professional services preferred.
- This position requires a bachelor’s degree or equivalent; an advanced degree (MS, MA, MBA, JD, or other relevant graduate degree) is highly desirable.
This position is eligible for an annual discretionary bonus, 401(k) plan, medical, dental, and vision insurance, accrued paid time off plan starting at 20 days annually, personal medical and parental leave, up to ten paid Holidays, and family care benefits. More information regarding benefits and programs may be found here.
This position may be filled in the following location(s). The compensation depends on qualifications and experience.
San Francisco Bay Area compensation range: $197,410 to $355,470 annually
Colorado compensation range: $154,670 to $278,500 annually
Los Angeles compensation range: $180,120 to $324,330 annually
San Diego compensation range: $177,830 to $320,220 annually
New York compensation range: $179,470 to $323,160 annually
Washington State compensation range: $163,150 to $293,780 annually