Senior Software Engineer - Bedrock
About Protocol Labs
Protocol Labs drives breakthroughs in computing to push humanity forward. Protocol Labs is a product-development lab, but behind the protocols and tools we build, behind the research and implementations, are passionate people, teammates, and community members. Most teams in the Protocol Labs Network are fully distributed and work remotely around the world. Engineers, researchers, and operators work in the open to improve the internet — humanity's most important technology — as we explore new advances at the intersection of many exciting fields (crypto, networks, distributed systems) and cultures (startups, research, open-source, distributed work).
Bedrock’s mission is to enable the growth of the Filecoin network via highly reliable data storage, discovery, and retrieval; bridging the gap to make Filecoin the goto, easy to integrate persistence layer for IPFS.
Current Projects Include:
- Boost - A tool for Filecoin storage providers to manage data storage and retrievals on Filecoin that improves the UX and scalability of the overall network.
- IPNI - IPNI is a content routing system optimized to take billions of CIDs from large-scale data providers, and allow fast lookup across Filecoin and IPFS.
- Lassie - A storage client tool that improves the performance and reliability of retrieving data from the Filecoin and IPFS network with a simple interface.
You will be an integral member of the Bedrock team, working alongside talented developers to build and deploy high-quality code in Go. Your main focus will be on Boost.
As Senior Software Engineer at Protocol Labs, you will...
- Collaborate with team members to identify and prioritize software features and requirements that support the growth of decentralized systems
- Design, develop, and test high-quality software solutions using Go and related technologies
- Troubleshoot and debug issues in the codebase, including complex bugs and performance bottlenecks
- Conduct thorough testing and code reviews to ensure high code quality, performance, and scalability
- Continuously learn and stay up-to-date with the latest advancements in decentralized systems and blockchain technology
- Mentor and guide junior engineers to help them grow their skills and contribute to the success of the team
- Contribute to open-source projects and engage with the wider software engineering community to promote innovation and collaboration
You may be a fit for this role if you have…
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, related field or equivalent practical experience
- A solid understanding of distributed systems principles and applications
- Experience designing and building distributed and/or p2p software systems and applications.
- A strong technical design ability informed by broad experience across multiple domains/specialties
- User empathy
- Proven track record of independently driving projects in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication skills on both technical and non-technical issues
- A keen awareness of teamwork, process, and patterns of successful collaboration
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Bonus Points if you have
- Experience leading open source projects, and/or guiding their communities
- Experience automating systems and managing infrastructure as code
- Large-scale systems (especially networking, performance, storage, or reliability engineering)
- Enterprise-grade software engineering experience delivering products customers love.
What’s it like to work at Protocol Labs?
The base pay for this position currently ranges from $217,000 to $269,000, plus cryptocurrency, equity, and opportunities for upside through performance rewards in cryptocurrency and equity. The base pay is based on a number of factors and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, experience, skills, abilities, training, and education. We also have a great benefits package, including parental and other forms of leave, contributions to your retirement, and unlimited time off. For U.S.-based employees, we also provide competitive health, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family.
GDPR for Job Applicants and Candidates
When you apply to a job on this site, the personal data contained in your application will be collected by Protocol Labs, Inc. (“Protocol Labs”), which is located at 427 N Tatnall St #51207, Wilmington, Delaware 19801 and can be contacted by emailing legalrequests[at]protocol.ai. Protocol Labs’ data protection team can be contacted via legalrequests[at]protocol.ai. Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of managing Protocol Labs’ recruitment related activities, which include setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation) as necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by Protocol Labs, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment.
Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by Protocol Labs to help manage its recruitment and hiring process on Protocol Labs’ behalf. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. Because the European Union Commission has determined that United States data privacy laws do not ensure an adequate level of protection for personal data collected from EU data subjects, the transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards.
Your personal data will be retained by Protocol Labs as long as Protocol Labs determines it is necessary to evaluate your application for employment or to assist in the hiring process. Under the GDPR, you have the right to request access to your personal data, to request that your personal data be rectified or erased, and to request that processing of your personal data be restricted. You also have the right to data portability. In addition, you may lodge a complaint with an EU supervisory authority.
Something looks off?