Staff Software Engineer
Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2022
At R3 you will be at the cutting edge of distributed ledger technology (DLT).
Corda is a DLT designed for running complex workflows between businesses, without any centralised points of control. You will work on a system trusted by banks, insurance companies, stock exchanges, payments companies, and others – highly demanding industries with the interesting technical challenges that come with them.
R3’s Corda 5 customers go through a journey; from first using Corda, through prototyping and MVPs to developing and deploying revenue generating production applications. The quicker they go thorough that journey, the quicker they, and consequently R3, will make money.
The team remit is to accelerate our customers ‘Time to Value’ when using Corda 5. In other words, help our customers make money faster.
We do this through working with our internal and external customer facing teams to identifying blockers and friction in our customers' development journey, then doing whatever we need to do to remove that friction. This could include optimisation or functional improvement work on the core Corda platform, building supporting tooling, developing efficient coding techniques for CorDapps (Corda Applications), or anything else the team identifies to make the journey faster… innovation is key.
Early focus of the team will be around accelerating our internal and external Digital Currencies and Market Infrastructure initiatives, focusing on building tooling suites, to support the swift development of production grade, systemically important financial platforms.
As part of the team, you will:
- Take the holistic view across the journey of a Corda 5 technical customer, helping to identify friction points and blockers.
- Employ your flexible technology skill set to develop innovative ways to accelerate our customers.
- Gain a strong understanding of the Corda Platform, techniques for writing CorDapps (Corda Applications) and the underlying Java/ Kotlin technology.
- Influence the future direction of Corda, championing the needs of the technical customers who use it.
No team is an island – you will work with many others across the company, to help ensure we build the best possible products. You will have the opportunity to showcase your work and help influence your colleagues' thinking.
- You are a motivated, self-sufficient and flexible software engineer with a diverse range of problem solving, system design and coding skills.
- You have a good grasp of computer science fundamentals, either through formal study or via some other route. You are curious and quick to learn about new technologies, and keen to build on your skills by learning on the job. You may have built distributed systems previously or have a strong interest in the area.
- You will have a strong ability to empathise with the users of products you have worked on and may have experience of creating software which accelerates other developers.
- You may have led small or medium sized teams to deliver application and/or tooling software. You will have the ability to convey technical concepts in a clear and engaging way.
- You will be able to operate autonomously, making decisions of high complexity and impact, utilising team opinion and senior leadership where needed.
- Part of the team’s work is likely to be around test tooling for CorDapps, hence, experience using and building software that enables developers to test their software would be valuable, but not essential.
- At R3 we believe the best Engineers can adapt to and learn any language. For this role, a flexible mindset and a willingness to learn is the priority, however, a significant portion of the work will be in Kotlin/ Java, hence, knowledge and/or familiarity with the Java ecosystem would be a bonus.
- Depth of Expertise: Typically, 9+ years of commercial experience, although this is a guide only; passion, capability and potential are more important.
- Be a thought leader for the team, we want somebody who will be driving the ideas forward and looking for the opportunities to improve our products and tools.
- Work with the team lead and Product Manager to set the strategy and delivery road map for the team.
- Work with the Product Manager on the research and analysis process to identify the needs of our internal and external technical customers, liaising internally with Product, Professional Services, Support and Developer Relations teams.
- Independently, design, code, test and maintain innovative solutions to accelerate our customers' 'Time-to-Value'. Including modifications to the core platform, tooling, reference code.
- Hands on coding and design, and supporting junior engineers with coding and design.
- Build and leverage relationships across the engineering department and the wider company to deliver in a complex delivery environment.
- Contribute to the technical direction and strategic vision of engineering as a whole.
See more open positions at r3
Something looks off?