Staff Software Engineer (Interoperability)
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2023
At R3 we’re planning to change the world. Joining us means working at the cutting edge of permissioned blockchain and distributed ledger technology (DLT) whilst it transforms the future of business.
Corda is a DLT platform conceived at the outset for running complex workflows between businesses absent centralized points of control. Designed for the needs of financial markets infrastructures, it is trusted by banks, stock exchanges, insurance companies, payments companies, and others to deliver reliable, scalable, and performant decentralized systems.
You will be joining the Corda Platform’s Interoperability engineering team, currently tasked with building the bridging technology between public blockchains such as Ethereum, and Corda. This is a greenfield project area; you will contribute design work to deliver architectural components, peer review code, contribute to planning, manage your own time, and deliver on those commitments you undertake to your team as part of their ongoing task of building and shipping great software. Leveraging your experience of both backend software development and more recent web 3 projects to help deliver interoperability solutions fit for the most demanding industries.
Key Responsibilities (what will I do most often?)
- Utilise recent experience in Web 3 technologies (such as Hyperledger Besu or Mainnet Ethereum) to help guide the team in its architectural thinking.
- Design, implement, test, and refine core parts of the interoperability stack.
- Contribute towards your team’s technical overall delivery by writing & reviewing designs, undertaking code reviewing, mentoring junior members of the team, and ensuring our software is acceptable for hands-on use.
- Work with the technical leads and product management to ensure design and delivery align with our priorities and deliver on our requirements.
- Fix issues as are raised through QA or Support tickets.
- Embody the culture of your team both internally and externally. Value your peer's contributions, strive to hit commitments, and champion true craftsmanship.
- Collaborate with your teammates to ensure the team is delivering a cohesive product.
- Embody a culture of ownership where you feel empowered to make design choices, learn from successes and failures, and always seek to build better and more capable new versions of software.
Other Responsibilities (what will I do sometimes?)
- Represent your team during cross-team alignments, retrospectives, and technical discussion forums.
- Present and discuss the work of your team with R3 stakeholders.
- Write blogs and internal tech-talks
Essential Skills (what do I need to do the job?)
- You have a strong technical programming background.
- You appreciate that Software Engineering is a discipline and Programming a craft, embracing both and seeking to better each.
- Worked on elements of a robust back-end server stack, delivering significant components of that.
- You have worked in domains where high availability and performance matter, and build your software with these in mind.
- You have experience working with some flavor of Ethereum, such as Hyperledger Besu, ideally delivering a project to production.
- Have several years of object orientated back end development experience e.g. Java, Rust, C++, C#, Go etc.
- You have worked with and developed enterprise-level software. We develop in Java and Kotlin, plus utilize cloud technologies, such as AWS, to deliver Corda – although these are not mandatory to have, you may be interested in working with these technologies.
- You are familiar with standard building and delivery automation tools - previous experience with Gradle is desired
- You care about quality and engineering agility, and have the desire to provide the best possible products and capabilities for our customers.