Principal Engineering Manager (Digital Currencies)
Software Engineering, Other Engineering
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2023
At R3 we’re planning to change the world.
Our Corda DLT platform is built to run complex workflows between businesses, without needing centralized points of control. Designed for the needs of financial markets infrastructures, it’s trusted by banks, stock exchanges, insurance companies, payments companies, and others to deliver hugely reliable and scalable systems.
A core part of the Corda vision is that we offer the best platform for digital currencies. We have been working closely with large numbers of the world's central and commercial banks for more than 6 years to make this a reality.
Our Corda Digital Currencies team is expanding to build out our digital currencies products and technology demonstrators, and we’re looking for someone to lead this hugely talented engineering team.
The team is growing quickly to meet the needs of our customers and is set to have 17+ people by the end of 2023, with engineers in the UK, Ireland, and India.
- Reporting to R3’s Senior Principal Engineering Manager of Digital Currencies, you will be responsible for the group of Digital Currencies Engineering teams in Mumbai. You will ensure we have the right strategy, people, skills, architecture, and technology, to deliver our digital currency software. You will also take responsibility for the quality and delivery of the collective work of the various teams.
Key Responsibilities (What Will I Do Most Often?)
- Line manage the engineering managers within Mumbai's Corda Digital Currencies team and be a role model for them.
- Work closely with product and program managers to ensure we have a clear vision of the software we’re building and how it will be built by the engineering teams.
- Own the delivery of our digital currencies products, ensuring we produce a roadmap of key deliverables, report on progress towards agreed delivery dates, and deliver with a very high quality level.
- Lead our hiring to ensure we have high caliber talent to build our software.
- Provide technical leadership.
- Ensure our product codebase is well maintained, develops in a way that makes it easy to work with, and mitigates any potential risks from third party dependencies.
- Coach, mentor, and hold one-to-ones with your team to help them in both the work they are doing, and to support their longer-term career development.
- Collaborate with many other people and teams across the company to ensure they understand any needs, progress, and capabilities, of the software your team is building. Help shape programs of work to ensure the needs of both your team and those other teams are all met.
- Encourage a culture of ownership in which your engineers feel empowered to make design choices, learn from successes and failures, and always seek to build better and more capable new versions of software.
- Run regular retrospectives to ensure the Corda Digital Currencies team, and the wider R3 engineering teams, can improve through learning about things that have worked better, worse, or as anticipated.
- Foster a culture of openness and mutual success.
Other Responsibilities (What Will I Do Sometimes?)
- Shape the strategy of Mumbai's Corda Digital Currencies team, and provide data and insights into the wider strategic planning process within the Corda Business Unit.
- Jointly plan the product roadmap with colleagues in the Product Management, QA, and Engineering Services teams.
- Represent the Corda Digital Currencies engineering team during cross-team alignments, retrospectives, and technical discussion forums.
- Present and discuss the work of your team with our strategically important customers.
- Periodic out-of-hours escalation.
Essential Skills (What Do I Need To Do The Job?)
- You have a solid technical background and understand the journey your team is on. They know you’ve walked in their shoes in the past.
- You have seen how to get the best from people, how things can go wrong, and know the difference.
- You are a passionate line manager who cares about people, and helping them achieve their best results.
- You care about quality, and engineering agility, and have a desire to provide the best possible products and capabilities for our customers.
- You have high levels of personal resilience and can help your team cope with changing priorities and complexity.
- You are calm and a reassuring leader, even under pressure.
- You have great communication skills, and are a confident presenter.