Senior Software Engineer, AI/ML, Heroku
To get the best candidate experience, please consider applying for a maximum of 3 roles within 12 months to ensure you are not duplicating efforts.
Job CategorySoftware Engineering
We’re Salesforce, the Customer Company, inspiring the future of business with AI+ Data +CRM. Leading with our core values, we help companies across every industry blaze new trails and connect with customers in a whole new way. And, we empower you to be a Trailblazer, too — driving your performance and career growth, charting new paths, and improving the state of the world. If you believe in business as the greatest platform for change and in companies doing well and doing good – you’ve come to the right place.
Heroku operates the world’s largest PaaS cloud, continuously delivering millions of apps with 6+ million container deployments, 16+ billion routing requests, and 10+ terabytes of application logs per day. Our vision is for developers to focus on their applications and leave operations to us.
Equality is a core value for Salesforce; it's at the heart of everything we do and strive to be. That means Equal Opportunity, Equal Advancement and Equal Pay for all. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Heroku is seeking a senior software engineer for our exciting new AI, machine learning, and LLM offerings for our customers. Delivering on the promise of AI involves a lot of data, security, and privacy concerns, and you must be able to simplify these complexities and deliver delightful AI capabilities in Heroku’s opinionated and powerful developer experience. You will focus on a range of AI opportunities: from hosting our customers’ AI workloads within a fully managed service, to delivering Heroku assistants for operators and developers, and using AI to improve the efficiency of Heroku’s internal platform.
We hope you are passionate about joining our community of engineers. We love to learn, to operate a gigantic distributed system, and to foster a remote culture of support and growth.
- Learn and contribute to AI, ML, and LLM capabilities across the Heroku platform
- Maintain and modernize the team’s software portfolio
- Resolve technical issues and drive improvements of system scalability, robustness, automation, and availability
- Work closely with cross-functional teams to discover and mitigate known and unknown risks
- Use data to explain trends and trade-offs, establish patterns, and prioritize work
- Participate in designing and delivering new AI, ML, and LLM capabilities
- Test, troubleshoot, and debug issues with the services that our team develops and owns related to safety, functionality, and performance
- Create, maintain and share documentation used by engineers, other team members and internal customers
- Participate in the team’s on-call rotation to keep services operational and highly available
- BS or MS in Engineering, Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, or related disciplines or equivalent experience in technical leadership roles.
- Interest in learning, building, delivering, and operating AI capabilities in AWS infrastructure.
- Awareness of machine learning software frameworks including PyTorch, pgvector, JAX, Neuron, MXNet, TensorFlow, or similar technologies.
- You are a curious, self-directed problem solver who enjoys working with people
- 3+ years in a full-time, professional software engineering or ML role
- Experience in a collaborative team environment of software engineers
- A commitment to winning together as a team, and collaboration over going it alone
- Experience in continuous delivery and short release cycles
- Enthusiasm for learning new languages, frameworks, and skills
- Experience deploying, operating and supporting critical production systems
- Experience using telemetry and metrics to drive operational excellence
- Ability to debug, optimize code, and automate routine tasks
- Ability to communicate async-first as part of a globally distributed team
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to work effectively with geographically distributed teams and people of various backgrounds
- Willingness to work on a distributed team spanning multiple time zones
- Familiarity with Heroku
- Experience using AWS and familiarity with its services and offerings
- Experience with containerization technology, e.g. Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with infrastructure management tools such as Terraform
- Experience operating complex systems and managing operational responsibilities
- Experience defining monitoring and alerting strategies for high-scale production systems
- Experience with agile or agile-like development processes
If you require assistance due to a disability applying for open positions please submit a request via this Accommodations Request Form.
At Salesforce we believe that the business of business is to improve the state of our world. Each of us has a responsibility to drive Equality in our communities and workplaces. We are committed to creating a workforce that reflects society through inclusive programs and initiatives such as equal pay, employee resource groups, inclusive benefits, and more. Learn more about Equality at www.equality.com and explore our company benefits at www.salesforcebenefits.com.
Salesforce is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. Salesforce does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Salesforce will not pay any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Salesforce.
Salesforce welcomes all.Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring, Salesforce will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.For New York-based roles, the base salary hiring range for this position is $146,600 to $201,700.For Washington-based roles, the base salary hiring range for this position is $133,400 to $183,400.For California-based roles, the base salary hiring range for this position is $146,600 to $201,700.Compensation offered will be determined by factors such as location, level, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Certain roles may be eligible for incentive compensation, equity, benefits. More details about our company benefits can be found at the following link: https://www.salesforcebenefits.com.