Principal Member Of Technical Staff (Performance Engineering)
To get the best candidate experience, please consider applying for a maximum of 3 roles within 12 months to ensure you are not duplicating efforts.
Job CategorySoftware Engineering
We’re Salesforce, the Customer Company, inspiring the future of business with AI+ Data +CRM. Leading with our core values, we help companies across every industry blaze new trails and connect with customers in a whole new way. And, we empower you to be a Trailblazer, too — driving your performance and career growth, charting new paths, and improving the state of the world. If you believe in business as the greatest platform for change and in companies doing well and doing good – you’ve come to the right place.
Data Cloud enables companies to unify customer data, manage identity and consent, segment and activate audiences, and optimize engagement with powered insights. In addition, companies can now build a single view of their customers to deliver personalized engagement across marketing, commerce, sales, and service. You'll be a part of the platform team that is working on building large scale distributed services across all core areas of the platform covering data ingestion, big data management, big data storage, big data processing, analytics/insights, profile graphs, segmentation, and activations. All the teams are dev/ops focused and own the end to end pipelines from development through production and support.
We are seeking an experienced software engineer to join a world class team of highly motivated software engineers and infrastructure experts. As an engineer, you have technical knowledge and hands-on experience in large scale distributed system architecture, development and deployment, public cloud infrastructure, cloud scale storage technologies and their performance and cost characteristics.
More specifically, you will be joining a world class performance, scalability, and reliability team responsible for ensuring that the Data Cloud system can scale to meet the demands of our customers. This team provides technical analysis of the performance characteristics of the entire system and assists other teams in finding solutions if performance problems are encountered.
The ideal candidate learns quickly, works autonomously and efficiently in fast-paced, ambiguous environments, is team driven and solves complex problems enduringly.
- Lead the team by applying modern technologies, design patterns, and Engineering Best Practices to deliver new projects for your team.
- Lead by example in continuously improving both the quality and productivity of your team's deliverables
- Apply knowledge of system health, customer usage, and scalability, and how those nonfunctional requirements interact with upward and downward dependencies
- Own all aspects of the features that your team delivers from requirements analysis, design, and coding to testing and production support
- Provide technical coaching to team members to help improve their overall skills and knowledge, primarily by using techniques such as pair-programming and reviews
- Work with engineers on the design, deployment and continuous improvement of performance, scalability, and reliability tests
- Architect, design, develop, and maintain key software automation components
- Continuously raise our standard of engineering excellence by implementing best practices for coding, testing, and deployment
- Provide technical and architectural leadership in a global and diverse organization
- Automate, optimize and drive efficiency of effort, code and process
- Resolve complex technical issues and drive innovations that improve system availability, resilience and performance
- Create, maintain and share technical documentation used by engineers and other team members
- Bachelor's Degree in CS or any engineering discipline / equivalent experience
- 15+ years of software engineering experience
- 15+ years design and implementation experience of large infrastructure projects with multiple teams
- Expertise in public cloud computing architecture (ex. AWS, GCP, etc.)
- Hands-on experience with mentoring and coaching team members to improve their technical skillsets
- Experience leading technical deliveries through all phases of the development life cycle—from code to test to production
- Ability to work cross-functionally to articulate, measure, and solve performance issues
- Hands-on experience with performance measurement, evaluation, and optimization
- Passion for continuous improvement and learning new technologies
- Experience with CI/CD and micro service platforms
- Experience with monitoring, alerts, and logging and troubleshooting technical problems
- Ability to communicate as an expert clearly and effectively that results in impact to other development teams
- Flexibility to adjust to changing/multiple priorities and technologies
- Knowledge of database/datalake performance fundamentals: SQL, schema, internals
- Experience working with Apache Spark and/or Presto (Trino)
- Experience in industry-standard performance tools (ex. k6, JMeter, Gatling)
- Experience evaluating and interpreting large volumes of production data using Splunk (or other equivalent tools) to evaluate throughput, latency, memory and CPU utilization
- Understanding of back-end systems and API’s, developer tools and compilers
- Knowledge in automated deployment and configuration updates using Docker, Spinnaker, Jenkins, Kubernetes
If you require assistance due to a disability applying for open positions please submit a request via this Accommodations Request Form.
At Salesforce we believe that the business of business is to improve the state of our world. Each of us has a responsibility to drive Equality in our communities and workplaces. We are committed to creating a workforce that reflects society through inclusive programs and initiatives such as equal pay, employee resource groups, inclusive benefits, and more. Learn more about Equality at www.equality.com and explore our company benefits at www.salesforcebenefits.com.
Salesforce is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. Salesforce does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Salesforce will not pay any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Salesforce.
Salesforce welcomes all.