Business Development Specialist (Telecom & GAPP)
Steptoe & Johnson
Sales & Business Development
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2023
Steptoe & Johnson LLP, a Washington, DC-based Am Law 100 law firm, is seeking a Business Development Specialist to join its Marketing & Business Development Department. Under the direction of the Director of Business Development, the Business Development Specialist serves as the principal day-to-day adviser on business development and marketing activities for the Telecom and Technology and Government Affairs & Public Policy (GAPP) practice group leaders and lawyers.
- Assists lawyers with presentations, proposals, business development planning, and tactics.
- Writes and edits materials for print and online communications in tandem with Marketing and Communications team members.
- This position works as part of a firm-wide collaborative marketing and business development team; other firm-wide and PG-specific duties as assigned.
- Meet with practice group leaders(s) and partners on a regular basis to identify and track business development opportunities with new and current clients.
- Prepare customized pitch documents, presentation materials, and proposal documents as well as proposal tracking and notifications.
- Coordinate marketing and business development projects, as assigned; take ownership from inception through implementation.
- Assist in the preparation of business development plans in conjunction with practice group chairs and Director of Business Development.
- Monitor and report on industry trends and issues impacting key clients and practice-specific developments that offer new opportunities in the form of pitches, alerts, potential webinars, events.
- Maintaining and updating experience lists, including matter tracking, approval of matter. descriptions, data input, and generally maintaining the integrity of the data for assigned practice groups.
- Support and utilize the firm’s CRM (client relationship management) system to track business development and client activities, including proposal status updates and tagging directory submission references.
- Works with lawyers, MarCom, and BD colleagues to produce communications including e-newsletters, client advisories, announcements, bios, practice descriptions
- Prepares directory submissions for Chambers, Legal 500, etc.
- Maintains appropriate website content, including regular edits to attorney bios, and development of new content
- Identifies topics and helps generate material for the Monday Marketing Minute weekly email, and other internal communications as needed
- Works with Events team to identify event opportunities and conduct appropriate BD-related follow up after the event
- Assistants a BD director or manager to provide marketing and business development orientation for new lawyers
- Serves as liaison to lawyers and secretaries with the MBD CRM team to build, maintain, and regularly update practice group contact lists and activities in InterAction
- Provide regular reports to supervisor on marketing/BD activities
- BA/BS required: Marketing, Public Relations, Communications, English or similar discipline preferred
- Minimum of 5-7 years of marketing experience, law firm or government relations/policy experience required
- Excellent writer and editor capable of generating first drafts that require minimal revision
- Excellent market segmentation, targeting, positioning, and business development planning skills
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and team building skills
- Ability to multitask efficiently and work under tight deadlines and in stressful situations
- Superior project management skills
- Attention to detail and quality work product
- Strong communicator - persuasive speaker
- Highly motivated and collaborative; willing to take initiative
- Sound knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and familiarity with legal database and software solutions
- Available to work office hours 9:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and available for evening and/or weekend work as the job requires, including regular checking of messages outside normal working hours
- Hybrid working arrangements are available for this position
- Occasional travel to other offices and events/conferences is required