Director, Business Manager - Hong Kong
The Director, Business Manager, Hong Kong (“Role”) within the APAC Corporate & Investment Banking organization plays a key role in driving and executing strategy and governance for Wells Fargo’s Hong Kong based legal entities, a branch and a securities company.
The role reports to the APAC Banking COO, and jointly to the heads of the Hong Kong legal entities. The success of this role centers around being entrepreneurial and independently establishing close partnerships with stakeholders, including business, risk, legal, and control functions, both in APAC, International, and in the US.
As the business manager for Wells Fargo Hong Kong legal entities, this position requires strong organizational and functional skills to own the execution of high impact initiatives, and partner with a wide range of stakeholders.
Governance & strategy
- Manage and facilitate the governance framework, including relevant management meetings, aligning to regulatory expectations, internal governance principles and best practices
- Provide on the ground support to the legal entity managers and business leadership team to drive / coordinate the execution and implementation of local governance and business-related processes and initiatives.
- Play a key role in supporting the strategy planning, development, and execution for legal entities, alongside business heads to effectively align the short-term and long-term business objectives with broader Wells Fargo International strategy.
- Review strategic approaches and effectiveness of support function and business performance
- Develop and demonstrate deep understanding of financial information, including forecasting, cost analysis. Drive efficiency in the business by identifying areas for consolidation, simplification, optimization.
- Perform assessments through fact finding and data analysis, requiring creative approaches to solving complex issues, and develop appropriate solutions or recommendations
- Support the entities in the execution and attestation of SLAs, outsourcing, and cost-allocation
- Support property, resiliency, and safety management
- Support local regulatory engagement, reporting, attestations, and legal entity filings
- Drive entity focused view of risk reporting
- Work with the Business Controls team to design, implement, find ways to operationalize controls as well as writing / input into procedures development
- Coordinate responses to audit, testing and validation and other risk and control reviews, working with internal stakeholders as well as support functions as appropriate
- Make decisions in highly complex and multifaceted situations requiring solid understanding of business group’s functional area or products, facilitate decision making and issue resolution, and support implementation of developed solutions and plans
- Collaborate and consult with members of the International / APAC COO and leadership management team to drive strategic initiatives
- Perform all of the above in close partnership with the various lines of business and support functions and with an enterprise mindset to ensure alignment, consistency, and maximization of shareholder value
- Drive accountability for assigned initiatives, limit risk exposure, and create efficiencies as appropriate
- 7+ years of Business Execution, Implementation, or Strategic Planning experience, or equivalent demonstrated through one or a combination of the following: work experience, training, military experience, education
- University degree
- 10+ years of working within the financial services industry or consulting firms with financial services experience, demonstrating knowledge and experience of Banking and Markets businesses and products
- Experience in developing and executing business strategy at an international scale
- Ability to influence and consult strategically across a large organization and with various levels of leadership/stakeholders.
- Experience in and/or exposure to cross border business, operational and regulatory environment, particularly in APAC and preferably in Hong Kong
- Ability to develop partnerships and collaborate with other business and functional areas, locally and internationally
- Demonstrated ability to think and communicate strategically with exceptional analytical skills, including proficiency in Excel modelling, PowerPoint, Word and Outlook
- Excellent organizational, program management, and time management skills
- Proactive, target oriented, ‘can do’, and creative mindset, with the ability to quickly identify and solve problems
- Proficient multi-tasker with experience in running multiple concurrent projects, especially strategy development and execution
- Detail orientated, proactive problem solver with strong numerical, verbal and analytical skills, with ability to gather and analyze data from multiple sources
- Ability to make timely and independent judgment decisions while working in a fast-paced and results-driven environment
- Intellectual curiosity and desire to learn potentially new subject matter
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Fluency in spoken and written English is a necessity. Other language skills, especially Cantonese or Mandarin are an added advantage.
We Value Diversity
At Wells Fargo, we believe in diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace; accordingly, we welcome applications for employment from all qualified candidates, regardless of race, color, gender, national origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, individuals with disabilities, pregnancy, marital status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Employees support our focus on building strong customer relationships balanced with a strong risk mitigating and compliance-driven culture which firmly establishes those disciplines as critical to the success of our customers and company. They are accountable for execution of all applicable risk programs (Credit, Market, Financial Crimes, Operational, Regulatory Compliance), which includes effectively following and adhering to applicable Wells Fargo policies and procedures, appropriately fulfilling risk and compliance obligations, timely and effective escalation and remediation of issues, and making sound risk decisions. There is emphasis on proactive monitoring, governance, risk identification and escalation, as well as making sound risk decisions commensurate with the business unit’s risk appetite and all risk and compliance program requirements.
Candidates applying to job openings posted in US: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Candidates applying to job openings posted in Canada: Applications for employment are encouraged from all qualified candidates, including women, persons with disabilities, aboriginal peoples and visible minorities. Accommodation for applicants with disabilities is available upon request in connection with the recruitment process.
Drug and Alcohol Policy
Wells Fargo maintains a drug free workplace. Please see our Drug and Alcohol Policy to learn more.