Lead Credit Risk Officer
About this role:
As a part of Wells Fargo's second line of defense, Independent Risk Management team covers jobs which lead the design and management of a highly targeted independent credit review (oversight) capability to assess the quality of lending and ongoing management of credit risk within the Bank, including adherence to risk appetite, credit policy and regulation. May include jobs which approve and provide challenge to line of business credit products, programs, transactions, and policies, and participate in acquisition due diligence.
We are seeking highly motivated credit professionals to enable the rationalization and maintenance of wholesale credit policies, while:
- Supporting line of business credit risk governance
- Complying with the Policy Management Policy
- Ensuring a consistent credit risk profile
- Ensuring credit professionals can easily understand and follow the requirements
We are seeking candidates with...
- Solid understanding of WHSL credit underwriting, monitoring and approval responsibilities, across multiple lines of business/lending types.
- Advanced ability to communicate both orally and in writing to multiple constituents
In this role, you will:
- Lead Roundtables, and serve as a subject matter expert, on specific lending topics
- Understand, and clearly communicate, complex wholesale credit concepts
- Build consensus for final approach on the topic
- Write credit policies, with moderate oversight, so that it:
- aligns with regulatory expectations
- appropriately represents the bank’s risk appetite,
- is clearly understood by all stakeholders (Credit Professionals and third-parties)
- adheres to the Policy Management Policy.
- Present policy topics to Group Senior Credit Officers (GSCOs) and Business-Aligned Chief Risk Officers in order to build consensus for WHSL Credit Policies.
- Identify legacy content for appropriate disposition, and coordinate with legacy content owners so implement new framework.
Business As Usual:
- Ensure proactive management of existing credit policies, procedures, and supporting documents
- Address needed Risk Governance edits within policies
- Adherence to the Policy Management Policy
- Identify improvement opportunities within policy, procedure, and surveillance
- Ensure resolution of matters requiring attention from third party stakeholders
- Provide accurate and timely answers to credit policy inquiries, from Credit Professionals and other stakeholders.
- Effective communication and partnership skills
- Write, and seek approval of, Compliance Summaries
- Coordinate IRM Credit feedback for nCino programming (system of origination)
- Regulatory requirement compliance/mapping to Credit Policy
- 5+ years of Credit Risk experience, or equivalent demonstrated through one or a combination of the following: work experience, training, military experience, education
- Review and analyze complex strategies, programs and policies with a direct and significant impact on credit risk appetite and culture
- Exercise independent judgment while developing the knowledge to understand function, policies, procedures, and compliance requirements
- Collaborate and consult with peers, colleagues and managers to resolve issues and achieve goals
- Collaborate with business for oversight of risk management
- Interact with Audit, Legal, external agencies, and regulatory bodies on risk related topics
- Interact with internal and external customers
- Receive direction from leaders
- Hybrid in-office model (minimum of 3 days per week in one of the office locations listed). Telework or remote work setting is not available.
- Preferred location(s) listed. Other locations within the Wells Fargo footprint may be considered for current Wells Fargo employees.
- Charlotte, NC
- West Des Moines, IA
- Minneapolis, MN
- Irving, TX
- Tempe, AZ
We Value Diversity
At Wells Fargo, we believe in diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace; accordingly, we welcome applications for employment from all qualified candidates, regardless of race, color, gender, national origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, individuals with disabilities, pregnancy, marital status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Employees support our focus on building strong customer relationships balanced with a strong risk mitigating and compliance-driven culture which firmly establishes those disciplines as critical to the success of our customers and company. They are accountable for execution of all applicable risk programs (Credit, Market, Financial Crimes, Operational, Regulatory Compliance), which includes effectively following and adhering to applicable Wells Fargo policies and procedures, appropriately fulfilling risk and compliance obligations, timely and effective escalation and remediation of issues, and making sound risk decisions. There is emphasis on proactive monitoring, governance, risk identification and escalation, as well as making sound risk decisions commensurate with the business unit’s risk appetite and all risk and compliance program requirements.
Candidates applying to job openings posted in US: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Candidates applying to job openings posted in Canada: Applications for employment are encouraged from all qualified candidates, including women, persons with disabilities, aboriginal peoples and visible minorities. Accommodation for applicants with disabilities is available upon request in connection with the recruitment process.
Drug and Alcohol Policy
Wells Fargo maintains a drug free workplace. Please see our Drug and Alcohol Policy to learn more.