Re-advertisement: Aviation Officer NOA, Mogadishu
World Food Programme
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
Contribute to daily planning and coordination of global aviation initiatives or day-to-day aviation operations to ensure that operations and objectives are achieved safely, at optimum value and in full.These jobs are found in Headquarters (HQ) or Country Offices (COs) and report to a more senior Aviation Officer. Job holders are likely to be working closely with a more experienced member of staff receiving close guidance and regular feedback on work performed.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Contribute to the planning and coordination or activities relating to the safe execution of aviation operations in accordance with WFP and UN AVSTADS (Aviation Standards).
- Support or manage aviation projects or operational activities applying standard processes, including the appropriate operational risk management processes, to contribute to effective humanitarian air transportation.
- Provide technical advice to country office to ensure safe aviation operations are incorporated into local program planning and transport arrangements.
- Collect and analyze a wide range of data from diverse sources through research and networking with colleagues to formulate and recommend actions to senior staff to improve performance of aviation activities and operations.
- Participate in the on-going review of internal processes and procedures and identify ways to increase the day-to-day efficiencies.
- Support regular financial analysis and budget reviews, drawing out insights and recommending actions to senior staff to optimize use of available funds.
- Guide and supervise a limited number of junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with more complex analysis and queries.
- Collate data and contribute to preparation of accurate and timely reporting, supporting a WFP-wide view of aviation activities that enables informed decision making and detailed reporting to donor representatives.
- Support the capacity building of WFP staff and partners to ensure safe aviation operations e.g. through the design and review of training materials.
- Identify and build productive relationships with WFP colleagues and staff within the unit or area of assignment to align activities and enable a coordinated and coherent approach to humanitarian air transportation.
- Follow emergency aviation preparedness practices to ensure WFP can quickly provide passenger services, relief supplies and emergency medical and security evacuations at the onset of a crisis.
- Act in an assigned emergency response capacity as required to meet the required provision of service to the humanitarian community as needed.
- Other as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Advanced University degree in Aeronautics, Aviation Engineering, Airport Management or other relevant field, or First University degree with additional years of relevant work experience and/or training/courses.
Holds or has held a Commercial Pilot License, Air Traffic Control License or Flight Operations Officer License (or equivalent), Aeronautical Engineer or Maintenance Engineer License.
Knowledge and Skills:
Minimum one year of relevant post graduate work experience
• Experience arranging flight clearances and customizing immigration documentation.
• Experience in coordinating with national aviation authorities on ramp activities.
• Experience in monitoring operational reports and advising on service utilization trends.
Language: Fluency in oral English & Somali language is a Requirement
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
- Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
- Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
- Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
- Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Supply Chain Management and Optimization||Demonstrates ability to design basic supply chain networks, including appropriately assessing and escalating challenges to ensure that WFP is able to provide consistent and uninterrupted service to its beneficiaries and partners.|
|Planning, Project & Resource Management||Collects and analyses relevant technical data from diverse sources to forecast operational needs under various scenarios and makes evidence-based proposals.|
|Information Management & Reporting||Collates accurate and timely information and data to enable informed decision making on reporting within individual unit and consequently the greater humanitarian community.|
|Service Provision, Aviation Contracting and Operational Execution||Demonstrates ability to negotiate contracts with WFP partners within own transportation modality/region that incentivize optimal performance by appealing to the interest of all parties.|
|Aviation Performance Measurement & Quality Control||Demonstrates ability to enforce adherence to WFP's operating and quality standards within own teams to ensure that aviation operations are carried out in a high quality, safe, timely, and responsible manner.|
|Specialized Technical Knowledge in Aviation, Safety and Security||Encourages increased utilization of aviation systems in a safe and secure manner to drive efficiency, minimize losses, and improve performance (e.g., on-time delivery of airdrop/airlift shipments, safety, quality).|
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Contract Duration: 12 months (initial)
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
29th May 2023
WFP has a zero-tolerance approach to conduct such as fraud, sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to WFP’s standards of conduct and will therefore undergo rigorous background verification internally or through third parties. Selected candidates will also be required to provide additional information as part of the verification exercise. Misrepresentation of information provided during the recruitment process may lead to disqualification or termination of employment
WFP will not request payment at any stage of the recruitment process including at the offer stage. Any requests for payment should be refused and reported to local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.
Something looks off?