Driver, Fixed Term, G2 Based in Assosa, Ethiopia
World Food Programme
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Job Title: Driver
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Duty station: Assosa
United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. In emergencies, WFP gets food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. After an emergency, WFP uses food to help communities rebuild their lives. On average, WFP reaches more than 80 million people with food assistance in 80 countries each year. The organization has the global footprint, deep field presence and local knowledge and relationships necessary to provide access to food and contribute to lasting solutions, especially in many of the world’s most remote and fragile areas.
These jobs are found primarily in WFP Semera Sub-Office, and job holders will report to Administration Assistant. The reporting lines may change depending on the size of the office.
Under the general supervision and guidance of the Admin associate the driver is required to provide efficient and safe transportation of authorized personnel and/or commodities.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Under the direct supervision of and reporting to the Administration Assistant, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Maintain that the assigned vehicle is always clean and in good condition, washing and cleaning should be scheduled properly so as not to interfere with work schedule.
- Provide reliable driving services by using assigned transport means for the transport of authorized WFP staff members, officials and visitors as per authorized routing following UN safety and security rules and regulations.
- Take care of the day-to-day efficient maintenance of the assigned means of transport, check oil, water, battery, brakes, tires, etc. arrange for repairs and ensure that the vehicle is kept clean and in good running condition at all times.
- Log official trips, daily mileage, gas consumption, oil changes, greasing, etc. and ensure all passengers sign in the log-book.
- Make the Administration Assistant aware if the mileage on the vehicle is getting close to Preventive Maintenance inspection mileage and arrange for service.
- Ensure that the vehicle has fuel at all times. Conduct daily checks before using the vehicle and ensure proper written handovers when going on leave or handing over to another driver.
- Negotiate, liaise and coordinate with local authorities to facilitate vehicle movements in designated areas.
- Check means of transport for mechanical fitness and the security of the cargo, ensuring that cargo is protected against all weather conditions.
- Perform other related duties as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of secondary school education. Formal driver's training with a valid driver’s license/certification to operate assigned vehicles following local rules and regulations.
Experience: Two or more years of work experience as a Driver with a demonstrated safe driving record. Experience in driving a variety of makes and models of vehicles, including vans, trucks, and other kinds of motorized vehicles.
Experience in defensive driving and first aid is desirable.
Knowledge & Skills:
• Knowledge of driving rules and regulations, skills in vehicle repairs, VHF /HF radio utilization and computer skills
• Knowledge of the vehicle loading capacity and other parameters.
• Knowledge of driving/boat operating rules and regulations whichever applicable.
• Knowledge of safety standards and safety equipment (e.g. fire extinguishers, buoyant wearable safety devices, etc.).
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
• Basic skills to assist in case of emergency, knowledge of first aid basic methods.
• Knowledge and ability to use radio, email, telephone and other applications.
• Ability to assess vehicles for mechanical fitness and skills in minor vehicle repairs.
• Ability to demonstrate a client-oriented approach, high sense of responsibility, courtesy and tact.
Language: Fluency (level C) in the UN language in use at the duty station and in the duty station’s language, if different.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
18 May 2023
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
Something looks off?