Engineer Officer P4 - FIT Pool - All Locations
World Food Programme
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status, physical or mental disability.
Are you mobile and ready to take you career to the international level?
If yes, this is your opportunity to join the Future International Talent Pool (FIT Pool)!
We are looking for candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles. We select our FIT Pool members on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the 2020 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate. We are the world’s largest humanitarian organization, saving lives in emergencies and using food assistance to build a pathway to peace, stability and prosperity for people recovering from conflict, disasters and the impact of climate change.
To learn more about WFP, visit our website: https://www.wfp.org/ and follow us on social media to keep up with our latest news: LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter.
ABOUT THE FIT POOL
The Future International Talent Pool (FIT Pool) is an excellent opportunity for a professional international career within WFP. WFP is building a pool of highly qualiﬁed and dynamic talents interested in serving in any of the 80 countries where WFP operates. Qualifying for the FIT Pool gives you priority to be considered for vacant Fixed Term positions anywhere in the world and consequently to commence your global journey in the humanitarian world. (https://www.wfp.org/countries).
For more information: https://www.wfp.org/fit-pool.
ABOUT ENGINEER OFFICER P4
You will be joining a community of over 4,000 team members, worldwide – ranging from facility managers, engineers, and environmental officers to drivers and maintenance workers, managing critical Management Services (Administration and Engineering) that WFP’s humanitarian operations cannot run without. Management Services (Administration) ensure accessibility of facilities, and duty-of-care of employees and enable the actions of our more than 23,000 colleagues. At the core of WFP’s efforts to respond quickly to dynamic operational needs - Management Services is there!
The responsibilities of our Management Services professionals include managing travel, accommodation, and protocol support; delivering and maintaining fit-for-purpose facilities; managing WFP’s pool of assets including light & armoured vehicles; and providing guidance on oversight, internal controls, and anti-fraud management.
With the implementation of the Management Services Strategy covering the period 2023-2026, the HQ restructure, the repositioning of the function as Management Services and the shift towards providing a greater level of direct support to the field with enhanced engagement, advocacy & compliance with WFP’s corporate standards, the need for a unique skill set to manage a diverse portfolio which covers coordination/facilitation, change management, business continuity in the operationalizing of the MSD strategy, advocacy, facility design, engagement, culture & management is fundamental. For a successful implementation of the newly defined functional strategy, special attention, and efforts in the area of communication and advocacy will be required; the proposed timing is also in complete alignment with the implementation of the strategic workforce planning action plan where defined activities will require specific temporary support and dedicated communication actions to accompany the transformational journey the function is embarking on.
These jobs are found in Headquarters (HQ) or Country Offices (COs). Job holders report to the Division/Country Director or the designate, and are subject to overall normative and technical direction from the Chief Engineer, WFP Engineering in relation to all matters of engineering services and construction activities. Job holders may work independently or as members of a team, using technical knowledge and expertise to analyse data, prepare reports, provide advice and solutions to problems, and identify opportunities for improvements. They may lead multi-disciplinary teams, including engineering staff, and may manage clusters of project partners and stakeholders to deliver engineering services or more complex projects.
We are looking for Engineering professionals with experience and knowledge of Project Management for design and construction of various infrastructure. The infrastructure is mainly vertical, horizontal, and/or hydro engineering projects. Also, we are aiming to have in the Fit Pool experts in Electrical, Mechanical and Architecture fields. They should provide construction and engineering expertise and contribute to the efficient delivery and quality outputs.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
As an Engineer Officer P4, you will be responsible for the following key duties:
- Provide expert advice and support to HQ, RBs or COs on a range of engineering services, project management and construction activities including the implementation of WFP policies, standards, norms, and practices to ensure that outputs meet the established quality standards.
- Lead engineering and project management services taking into account country-specific technical requirements, using best practices, standards and innovative technologies that comply with WFP standards and processes.
- Manage and conduct analysis of project proposals to ensure business case and technical feasibility and that project objectives are attainable within the prescribed resources and timelines.
- Lead the preparation of accurate and timely reports on outputs to enable informed decision-making and consistency of information presented to the stakeholders.
- Provide expert guidance to ensure a successful construction procurement process.
- Represent WFP at international meetings and conferences, lead discussions with partners, donors and other stakeholders, exchange knowledge and experience, keeping abreast of construction and engineering technologies, to ensure implementation of innovative engineering solutions.
- Lead the capacity building, mentoring and career development of staff teams to ensure the continued development and high performance.
- Build and reinforce strong partnerships with internal and external clients to effectively identify and meet clients’ expectations.
- Take responsibility for an equitable and inclusive workplace which incorporates all dimensions of the WFP diversity and inclusion framework.
- Contribute to preparedness actions, providing technical recommendations and guidance, and monitor the management of risks.
- Lead delivery and implementation of the high-risk community infrastructure projects.
- Take responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives in areas of work, to ensure equal participation of women and men.
- Other as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
Advanced University degree (recognized by https://www.whed.net/home.php) in Civil Engineering or related Engineering discipline, or other relevant fields (i.e. Architecture), or First University degree (recognized by https://www.whed.net/home.php) with additional years of relevant professional level work experience.
Accreditation to “Professional Engineer/Architect” or “Chartered Engineer/Architect” status, or other recognized equivalent accreditation by an appropriate national or international regulatory authority.
Should you not find your university degree in this link kindly note that it will be your responsibility to obtain a formal letter from your Ministry of Education stating their recognition of the university and degree.
- At least 8 years or more of relevant postgraduate professional level experience in engineering along with planning and organizing, managing work programs and objectives, staff and budgets, and liaison with stakeholders/donors.
- Managed large-scale, complex engineering and construction projects and programs in an international environment.
- Managed multi-disciplinary or cross-functional teams to ensure successful project outcome.
- Fluency (level C) in English language.
- Intermediate knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) and/or Portuguese (one of WFP’s working languages).
You are able and motivated to work in any of WFP’s Offices throughout the world, including hardship locations. FIT Pool members are expected to agree on the first proposition of deployment that is offered to them.
DESIRED TECHNICAL SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
You have some of the following desirable skills:
- Have developed expert knowledge in engineering specialisations (e.g., seismic, environmental, blast, fire or security and safety engineering).
- Have developed strong experience in construction or arbitration law and engineering contract management.
- The ability to use your engineering skills to enable delivery of food aid and improve the livelihoods through community infrastructure building.
- Motivated engineering professional, with good communication and presentation skills.
- Experience in humanitarian aid delivery and development.
- Experience working in developing countries and countries under development.
- Experience working in an international organization/company.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Building the pool is a comprehensive process and it will take approximately 8 months. The recruitment steps are Online Application + Automatic Screening > Technical Assessment > Profile Screening > Language Test > Panel Interview > Background Verification. (The process is subject to change).
If you are selected, you will be placed in the FIT Pool for a period of up to 2 years. You may be contacted as the needs arise for fixed-term international positions with a probationary period of one year in any of the countries in which WFP operates, including hardship duty stations.
Mobility is the essence of WFP and continues to be a core contractual requirement. These positions are rotational which means that you shall be subject to the regular reassignment process to any other location on a period of 2 to 4 years unless the position is reclassified as non-rotational.
WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, including basic salary, post adjustment, relocation entitlement, travel and shipment allowances, 30 days’ annual leave, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, pension plan and medical insurance. For more information, visit https://icsc.un.org/.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Application deadline: 05 June 2023 (midnight Rome time)
Your CV must be submitted in English to be considered. For UN workers please include your current contract type and level.
All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
Something looks off?