Roving Logistics Officer, International Consultancy level II, RB Dakar
World Food Programme
🚩 Vacancy Announcement n°: 827183
📢 Job Title: Roving Logistics Officer, International Consultancy level II, RB Dakar
✨ Contract type and Grade: Regular Consultant Level II (Full time)
📧 Duration:06 months
✅ Unit / Division: Supply Chain
📍 Duty Station: Regional Bureau Dakar, Senegal
⏰ Closing date: 28th May 2023
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles. Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance. Female Candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP), a highly prestigious, reputable & world’s largest humanitarian organization, operates in more than 120 countries and territories, bringing life-saving assistance in emergencies, building pathways to peace, stability, and prosperity for people recovering from conflict, disasters and the impact of climate change and supporting sustainable and resilient livelihoods for a world with zero hunger. At WFP, people are at the heart of everything we do, and the vision of the future WFP workforce is one of diverse, committed, skilled, and high-performing teams, selected on merit, operating in a healthy and inclusive work environment, living WFP's values (Integrity, Collaboration, Commitment, Humanity, and Inclusion) and working with partners to save and change the lives of those WFP serves.
To learn more about WFP, visit our website: , and follow us on social media to keep up with our latest news: , , , , .
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
The incumbent will provide analysis and input to supply chain activities, contribute to the planning and coordination of supply chain operations in various countries in Western Africa, to ensure that actions are in line with an effective and integrated supply chain approach that meets the food assistance needs of beneficiaries and the service delivery requirements of partners.
ACCOUNTABILITIES / RESPONSABILITIES
Reporting directly to the Regional Logistics Officer, the Roving Logistics Officer will be responsible for the following activities:
- Coordinate the activation of new corridors in West Africa and the setup of new logistics hubs/ transhipment points, in line with the regional/functional strategies, policies and plans, to achieve operational cost efficiency, agility, reliability and quality
- Analyse context of country or region and lead the design and management of supply chain network, to proactively mitigate and/or address dynamic supply chain challenges, to ensure operational optimization.
- Design and manage the full lifecycle of project management, including planning, engaging with partners and key stakeholders, budgeting, strategically allocating material and human resources, and ensure implementation and reporting.
- Supervise transport arrangements and contracting of all associated services on the new corridors in accordance with established guidelines.
- Coordinate and manage service providers, port, fleet, superintendent, and warehouse operations to promote safe, efficient planning and execution of WFP operations.
- Gather market intelligence through research and networking, thus improving the knowledge basis available to Country Offices and Regional Bureau, and use market analysis and research to recommend actions to Management to improve supply chain performance
- Lead and motivate a large or highly specialized logistics team providing coaching, training and guidance as required to ensure appropriate development and enable high performance.
- Oversee and prepare accurate and timely accounting, data collection and reporting, to inform supply planning and contribute to a WFP wide view of logistics activities, enabling informed decision making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
- Provide expert advice and guidance to WFP staff at all levels, partners, and governments, building capacity to effectively run corridors and hubs.
- Other tasks as required.
Advanced university degree (Master's degree equivalent, BAC+4/5), recognized by https://www.whed.net/home.php in Supply Chain Management, Engineering, Economics, Business Administration, Logistics, other relevant disciplines, OR a first university degree (Bachelor's degree equivalent, BAC +3) in the same disciplines with additional years of experience.
At least five (5) years of progressively responsible professional post graduate experience working in the field of Logistics/Supply Chain.
- Experience coordinating supply chain activities with other units/ teams.
- Experience conducting analytical and conceptual work in support of strategy design and implementation.
- Experience in coordinating periodic planning across functions and with partners.
- Experience in analyzing and supporting the implementation of end-to-end supply chain operations.
- Experience working with WFP partners.
- Experience in implementing supply chain improvement initiatives.
Fluency (level C in reading, writing and speaking) in English and French.
Deadline for application: 28th May 2023
WFP Value Proposition
- Meaningful and impactful careers - Our day-to-day work makes a difference in the lives of the people we serve.
- Continuous learning and training - We provide learning tools for our staff to continually develop their careers.
- Multicultural and stimulating working environment - We encourage gender and cultural diversity to make our teams stronger.
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU APPLY
- All employment decisions are made based on organisational needs, job requirements, merit and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Join Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
- Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply. WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
- Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance
- WFP will not request payment at any stage of the recruitment process including at the offer stage. Any requests for payment should be refused and reported to local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.
- WFP has a zero-tolerance approach to conduct such as fraud, sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
- All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to WFP’s standards of conduct and will therefore undergo rigorous background verification internally or through third parties. Selected candidates will also be required to provide additional information as part of the verification exercise. Misrepresentation of information provided during the recruitment process may lead to disqualification or termination of employment.
Special Notice on WFP RBD office relocation:
WFP and other UN Agencies will be moving to the new United Nations House, presently under construction in Diamniadio, 30 kilometres from downtown Dakar. The name of the duty station for this position will remain Dakar, Senegal.
Before you apply, please confirm that both (i) your on-line profile and CV are accurate and up to date, (ii) your CV should include your employment history, academic qualifications, and language skills.
Something looks off?