Ombuds Officer and Data Manager (Consultant)
World Food Programme
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The Office of the Ombudsman supports employees to address any work-related problem or conflict in a confidential, informal, independent, and impartial manner. This Consultant position is located in Rome, Italy, in the WFP’s Office of the Ombudsman and Mediation Services (OBD) and reports to the Director, OBD.
Under the overall supervision of the Director of the Office of the Ombudsman and Mediation Services, the incumbent will provide a range of conflict resolution services to the WFP employees.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Facilitate fair, equitable and expeditious resolutions to concerns raised by WFP employees using the functions of the organizational ombudsman, address concerns of WFP employees. Initiate inquiries with their consent and support them to informally address their situations.
- Handle high profile and highly complex ombuds cases, specifically those involving Senior Management.
- Provide all range of ombuds services including mediation and facilitations, shuttle diplomacy, team climate assessment exercises (TCA) and teambuilding activities to WFP employees, as needed.
- Provide input to WFPs policies and relevant frameworks in line with OBD’s recommendations and mandate, as appropriate.
- Manage OBD’s case management and database system, provide accurate and consistent data, analyse case-related data to accurately identify trends.
- Contribute to the formulation and implementation of the OBD’s action plan and strategy aligned with the goals of WFP, using data-based input.
- Provide full support to the OBD Management in database analysis, reports, and maintain consistency in data input practices among all Ombuds Officers.
- Contribute to the writing of OBD Annual Report by providing relevant data and data analysis to underline systemic issues, trends and statistical information related to issues at hand.
- Conduct regular ombuds missions to WFP Country and Sub-Offices according to the OBD Annual Mission Plan.
- Contribute to OBD Capacity Building Programme; design and deliver new and regularly update standing training sessions in scope of the needs of the office. Coach and guide other staff to ensure appropriate development and enable high performance.
- Participate, as required, in inter-agency fora on ombuds practices and in professional bodies and networks, developing strategic relationships, as appropriate, to enable sharing of experience and development of good practice.
- Participate, as required, in WFP corporate initiatives.
- Perform any other duties, as assigned.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Advanced University degree in social sciences, administration, human resources or other relevant field, or First University degree with additional years of relevant work experience and/or training/courses in alternative dispute resolution or conflict management.
Fluency (level C) in English language. Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or Portuguese (a WFP working language), is desirable.
Not less than ten (10) years of relevant experience in the field of conflict resolution, and a minimum of eight (8) years as organizational ombudsman. Experience in the UN system is required.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Has an extensive track record of providing ombuds services to senior management representatives.
- Led the design and/or implementation of processes of ombuds offices and ombuds case management systems, to improve efficiency and effectiveness of the office.
- Has experience in leadership coaching and team climate assessments.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Conflict Resolution: Demonstrates in-depth knowledge of alternate dispute resolution mechanism, e.g. mediation, reconciliation, restorative practices. Demonstrates professional competence in conflict resolution, seeking fair and equitable solutions to and prevention of employment related problems. Demonstrates ability to creatively respond to problems and to mobilise, empower or enable other actors to respond where necessary. Able to assist in developing a deeper understanding of conflict prevention, conflict management and conflict resolution.
- Database Management: Experience in database management ensuring consistency, accuracy, objectivity, and comparability of data collection in line with IOA (International Ombuds Association) standards. Sound statistical abilities, able to analyse quantitative and qualitative data. Experience with issuing statistical reports.
- Analysis: Able to analyse a wide range of factors affecting conflict dynamics and to identify systemic issues (with regard to policies, procedures, practices, structure, culture or attitude) and to formulate clear recommendations for addressing those issues in order to facilitate change at the systemic level.
- Communication: Able to create a safe setting in which visitors feel comfortable in being able to bring forward issues or concerns by demonstrating advanced listening skills and the ability to establish rapport and gain trust and respect; speaks and writes clearly and effectively, tailors language, tone, style, and format to match the audience.
- Training and development: experience in developing, designing and delivering high quality and innovative training program on various topics related to the field of conflict resolution. Additionally, experience in designing train the trainer workshops.
- Outreach and Stakeholder Management: Understands the importance of outreach and is able to deliver oral presentations to various audiences; able to diplomatically handle sensitive information and cultivate productive relationships with target audience and stakeholders.
The selected candidate will be offered an 11 months regular consultancy contract.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Deadline: June 4th
WFP has a zero-tolerance approach to conduct such as fraud, sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to WFP’s standards of conduct and will therefore undergo rigorous background verification internally or through third parties. Selected candidates will also be required to provide additional information as part of the verification exercise. Misrepresentation of information provided during the recruitment process may lead to disqualification or termination of employment
WFP will not request payment at any stage of the recruitment process including at the offer stage. Any requests for payment should be refused and reported to local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.
Something looks off?