Operational Information Management Officer (OPSCEN Secretariat Officer)
World Food Programme
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, color, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status, physical or mental disability.
Job Title: Operational Information Management Officer (OPSCEN Secretariat Officer)
Type of Contract: Consultancy
Division: Emergency Operations Division
Duty Station (City, Country): Rome HQ, Italy
Duration: 11 months
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
The Secretariat is the corporate focal point for Operational Information Management (OIM), Operational Reporting and Inter-Agency Information Management. The objective of the Unit is to provide a foundation to enable timely decision-making for the coordinated and effective response at both internal and external levels. The Team provides support functions to facilitate WFP’s response to emergencies. The Unit is situated in the Emergency Preparedness and Response Support Division (EME). To further improve internal processes to inform key decision makers in a timely, efficient and comprehensive manner the candidate is responsible for the regional reporting oversight for one or more of WFPs Regional Bureaux and the respective Country Offices and Oversight Countries, providing a holistic common operating picture. In addition, the candidate will contribute to corporate reporting products. The post also focuses on strengthening the Unit’s technical, analytical and strategic capacities. The post is located in WFP Rome Headquarters with possible missions in support of WFP emergency responses.
1. Cover Reporting and Information Management tasks as an OPSCEN Officer, concerning one or more Regional Bureaux, related to several corporate reporting products. This entails monitoring and analysis of media and information received from the field to provide operational awareness and understanding of events that may have a humanitarian impact.
2. Responsible for providing emergency reporting and Information management guidance to OIM officers at CO and RB level.
3. Analyze the political, humanitarian and policy landscape pertaining to WFPs current and future responses, including donor policies, trends, and preferences, to inform OPSCEN’s strategic information provision to key decision-makers.
4. Take stock of and develop innovative solutions to improve WFPs Information Management Products and Processes further.
5. Provide analytical and technical support to Country Offices and Regional Bureaux in streamlining reporting and analysis tasks.
6. Provide strategic support to the Head of Unit (HoU) and the Head of the Secretariat.
7. Provide administrative support to the unit and the EME Division, as needed
• Continuous analytical and technical support to WFP OPSCEN/OIM Unit.
• Analytical and technical support to Regional Bureaux and Country Offices by deploying to field locations.
• Ensure the below is delivered for the concerned Regional Bureaux:
o Daily Operational Brief o Emergency Dashboards and other data-visualization products o OPweb (WFP-internal information management platform) maintenance
o Task Force facilitation o Emergency activation, review, and deactivation facilitation o Week-end coverage of OPSCEN work by rotation
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
University degree in International Relations, Political Science, Conflict Analysis, Information Management, Journalism, Data Science or other relevant fields.
At least 3 years of postgraduate related professional work experience.
Knowledge and Skills:
• Strong writing skills with a demonstrated ability to research, draft and clear concise information products or analyses.
• Excellent analytical and conceptual skills.
• Excellent knowledge of humanitarian operations, methods and systems.
• Knowledge of current political events; advanced, region-specific knowledge is an advantage.
• Strong ability to use standard office software (MS Office).
• Knowledge of design or graphic software is an advantage.
• Knowledge of data visualization and/or base management is an advantage.
Fluent in English, with excellent writing skills, and working knowledge. Good working knowledge (level B) of a second UN language, preferably French, Spanish or Arabic is desirable.
Terms and Conditions
WFP offers a competitive compensation package which will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Please visit the following websites for detailed information on working with WFP.
http://www.wfp.org Click on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about WFP’s operations.
Deadline for applications: 4 June 2023
Ref.: VA No. 827290
All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
Something looks off?