Logistics Officer (Corridor Management), LFT P3, Regional Bureau of Nairobi (RBN)
World Food Programme
SAVING LIVES.CHANGING LIVES.
WHAT IMPACT WILL YOU HAVE WORKING WITH US?
My WFP Story
“Be passionate about WFP’s mission. It’s good to take time and get to know people by networking. WFP will give you an opportunity to become a sound and reliable professional. Don't forget to have fun while at it.” – Partnerships Officer
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) seeks individuals of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
WFP does not charge a fee at any stage of the process (Application, Technical Assessment, Interview)
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The WFP Regional Bureau for Eastern Africa (RBN) is based in Nairobi and provides strategic direction, technical guidance, resource mobilization, and management support to WFP operations and activities in ten countries: Burundi, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia, Sudan, South Sudan, and Uganda.
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF ASSISGNMENT
WFP is the world's largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. The increasing demand of food assistance in volatile contexts provides a unique value proposition for WFP’s Regional Bureau for Eastern and Central Africa (Regional Bureau Nairobi) in terms of logistics corridor management optimization to achieve the maximum performance, cost-efficiency, and sustainability. In this regard, WFP is looking to have in its Logistics team in Nairobi a Logistics Officer leading the Logistics Corridor Management at regional level. The position is based in Nairobi working in strict coordination with the functional experts (e.g., Budget & Programming, Finance, Logistics, Procurement, etc.) in RBN and its Country Offices (COs).
To oversee and support the regional corridor operations related to food and non-food-items, to provide strategic and operational guidance for their optimization and sustainability, to liaise with other functions and offices for intra-regional operations and initiatives. The Logistics Officer will operate under the direct supervision of the Logistics Augmentation team lead and will be accountable for the following:
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead the regional corridor internal service management activities, including corridor operations planning, corridor operations staffing structure, advanced analytics, corridor budgeting, service costing, funds management, corridor operations monitor and evaluation, risk management and oversight.
- Establish effective and regular communication with Head of SC / Head of Logistics and HQ Logistics functions to streamline corridor operations and timely identify and resolve operational issues.
- Design and validate the corridor staffing structure levels based on operational contexts, transactional volumes, operational conditions, corridor complexity, and capacity surge needs.
- Review and updates corridor end-to-end operations evaluations framework at managerial and operational level for RB and COs, including upstream and downstream supply chains.
- Elaborate complex supply chain / logistics operational analysis to facilitate the decision making and reporting at global, regional, and country office levels.
- Create corridor and country office analytics and KPIs supporting the definition supply chain decarbonizing strategy and its implementation monitoring, as well as the analysis of the economic impact of logistics operations in the region at aggregated and country levels.
- Create costing models for internal and external service provision for food and NFIs.
- Define digitalization requirements and roadmap for corridor management and discuss for validation with the corridor stakeholders.
ADDITIONAL KEY ACCOUNTABILTIES
- Lead the regional annual service demand exercise for each regional corridor and service provider CO.
- Supervise and coordinate the annual corridor budget preparation in collaboration with the service provider COs and submit it to the service recipients for discussion and approval.
- Ensure high quality half-year and year-end operations reports and presentations for submission to the Corridor Management Committee are timely issued.
- Ensure corridor infrastructures are effectively and efficiently used and staffing is aligned to the operational needs in terms of skills and quantity.
- Coordinate the corridor stakeholders in operational decision making related to prepositioning of GCMF cargoes, identification of most cost-effective corridors for the delivery of cargoes.
- Lead the periodic coordination call with all involved stakeholders in the region and HQ to ensure a smooth delivery of commodities to the complex operations by identifying potential bottlenecks and related resolution.
- Guide and support country offices in corridor management implementation with surge support when needed.
ADDITIONAL KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Ensure that the business processes (including related organizational information) and RACI supporting the corridor service are performed consistently and in line with the WFP corporate standards.
- Led the constant optimization of corridor operations and related supporting solutions and systems.
- Perform the quantitative and qualitative in-depth analyses and assessment of corridor operations vs benchmarks (KPI management).
- Maintain constructive and positive relationships with staff at all levels to ensure a successful implementation of the corridor management.
- Any other needed accountabilities discussed with the supervisor.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Advanced university degree in supply chain, logistics, or university degree with experience and advance course / training in one or more of the following disciplines: supply chain, information management, statics, economics, or any other related field.
Experience: Minimum of at least 5 years’ of postgraduate progressively responsible professional experience in supply chain operations, logistics, business solutions, data analysis models and systems, service organization and planning, or any other related fields.
Proved knowledge of supply chain, operations, business processes, data analysis and modelling.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Knowledge and experience in humanitarian logistics/supply chain operations and processes and related coordination.
- Proved experience in the design, development and optimization of logistics networks and processes.
- Proved knowledge and experience in the definition of complex statistical analyses and models, in carrying out research and learning on own initiative.
- Proved experience in business requirement formulation for optimizing and/or digitalizing operations, systems, and solutions.
- Proved experience in logistics data management and processing by using corporate supply chain information/execution systems, to produce ad hoc business views and in using visualization tools
- Capacity to act upon problems (problem solving and judgement skills).
- Project portfolio management skills to manage and report on workstream status and progress: pro-active prioritizing, planning, organizing, coordinating, monitoring, reporting, and communication.
Languages: Fluency in written and spoken English required.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Type of Contract: Limited Fixed Term Contract, P3
Unit/Division : Logistics/Regional Bureau Nairobi (RBN)
Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya
Contract Duration: 02 Years
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Deadline: Thursday 04th June 2023
All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Please ensure to update your CV and Cover Letter before uploading in this system.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
Something looks off?