Procurement Officer (Construction Service) SC8 - Maputo, Mozambique
World Food Programme
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles. Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance. Female qualified applicants are especially encouraged to apply.
WFP does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, offer, training, or any other fees). Offers of WFP employment or job openings with requests for payment of fees are fraudulent. WFP does not concern itself with information on bank accounts. Any requests for such payment or information should be refused and reported to local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action and to WFP for its information.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. In 2022 alone, WFP assisted more than 140 million people in over 120 countries and territories. WFP’s efforts focus on emergency assistance, relief and rehabilitation, development aid and special operations. Under the new Country Strategic Plan, WFP Mozambique Country Office committed to support the Government in the development of infrastructures for chronically vulnerable or shock-affected localities across the country. The Country Office also supports programmes that use food assistance to empower women, transform areas affected by climate change and keep children in school
This position is located in WFP Mozambique Country Office based in Maputo, Under the direct supervision of the Head of Procurement. The incumbent is expected to demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to queries and problems with only general guidance. The job holder is required to oversee procurement of construction services that includes but not limited to construction of minimum infrastructure in schools to ensure the safe storage of food and the preparation of meals to be delivered to Primary School students. Job holders supervise, provide technical advice, coach and coordinate a team of support staff as well.
WFP Mozambique is looking for a candidate with engineering or construction management background with procurement experience in similar projects.
To collect, analyse and report on information to maximise efficiency of procurement operations and activities.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Advanced University Degree in Civil Engineering, and/or Construction Management, Business Administration, Legal or other relevant field, or First University degree with an additional relevant work experience and/or training/courses.
Experience: Five or more years of relevant Civil Engineering, Construction Management or Construction Procurement.
Knowledge and Skills:
• Knowledge and/or experience in engineering design, standards and implementation.
• Knowledge of FIDIC Contracts is advantageous.
• Knowledge and/or experience in project and contract management.
• Experience in planning and supervision of community infrastructure projects.
Computer Skills: Microsoft office suite (level 4/5 proficiency in MS Word, Excel and Project);
Languages: Fluency in both oral and written communication in the Portuguese and English
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
• Experience handling routine transactions/ purchase of commodities/goods/services.
• Experience developing timelines and cost reports for suppliers (e.g. retailers, wholesalers and traders).
• Demonstrated experience coordinating procurement processes with other units/ teams (e.g., logistics, ICT, Administration).
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive, within delegated authority):
Under the general supervision of Procurement Unit and in coordination with Engineering Unit, the job holder shall be responsible for overseeing procurement of construction services, reporting on the progress of the works, ensuring that all parties are executing their duties & responsibilities in accordance with the contracts to be singed between WFP and the selected Service Provider.
The following are non-exhaustive list of duties and responsibilities of the job holder:
1. Plan, manage and provide senior management with technical advice on procurement of construction services, following rules, procedures, and regulations.
2. Work in close collaboration with internal counterparts to align procurement of construction services with wider programmes and ensure a coherent approach to ensure continuity of WFP’s operations.
3. Manage procurement activities of construction services, (e.g., issue tenders, evaluate offers and negotiate/award contracts), following standard procurement processes and contribute towards successful procurement of these services.
4. Develop and prepare standard contracts for construction procurement. Manage and coordinate negotiations with all interested parties including contract disputes and claims.
5. Establish Long Term Agreements (LTAs) to strategically source construction services that have recurrent nature from local as well as from international sources.
6. Review scope of works, design, specifications, and Bill of Quantities submitted by Requesting Units before issuance of tenders.
7. Conduct market intelligence on construction activities in the local market, competitiveness of prices, local regulations, and advise internal counterparts to enable informed decisions making.
8. Assess market for potential construction vendors and support maintenance of suppliers’ roster for Construction Services.
9. Review construction progress reports and ensure compliance with contract terms and conditions before approval of progress as well as final payments.
10.Review variations/change orders to a works proposal including cost estimates, in consultation with Engineering and Programme units
11.Perform performance evaluation of suppliers in consultation with Requesting Unit in-line with terms and conditions of the contract agreement after completion of each projects.
12.Represent Procurement Unit in construction related coordination meetings as well as discussion on issues related to on-going construction activities.
13.Train WFP staff to take a strategic and proactive approach to the procurement of construction services. Guide and supervise staff as required.
14.Perform Other duties as required
WFP LEADERSHIP FRAMEWORK - OUR BEHAVIOUR MATTERS
- Leads by Example with Integrity
Lives WFP values and shows humanity and integrity by role modelling care for others.
- Drives Results and Delivers on Commitments
Delivers on commitments and adapts readily to change.
- Fosters Inclusive and Collaborative Teamwork
Is inclusive and collaborative, and contributes to a culture of learning and personal growth.
- Applies Strategic Thinking
Demonstrates commitment to gather perspectives, analyse options and risks, and propose new ways of doing things.
- Builds and Maintains Sustainable Partnerships
Builds and nurtures external partnerships & collaborates with partners to deliver common objectives.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Type of contract: Service Contract, Level 8
Duty Station: Maputo
Duration: 12 months
This position is open to Mozambican Nationals Only.
Female qualified candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
06th June 2023
Only Shortlisted Candidates will be contacted
WFP has a zero-tolerance approach to conduct such as fraud, sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to WFP’s standards of conduct and will therefore undergo rigorous background verification internally or through third parties. Selected candidates will also be required to provide additional information as part of the verification exercise. Misrepresentation of information provided during the recruitment process may lead to disqualification or termination of employment
WFP will not request payment at any stage of the recruitment process including at the offer stage. Any requests for payment should be refused and reported to local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.
Something looks off?