Mid-Value Donor (MVD) Programme Lead
World Food Programme
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance
Short-listed candidates may be subject to written assessment.
WFP offers a competitive compensation package which will be determined by role’s responsibilities and deliverables, please acknowledge the level of this consultancy offer and be aware that as per UN policy any negotiation based merely on personal cv is not allowed.
This consultancy assignment is renewable subject to funding availability.
- Click on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about our operations.
Qualified female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply.
WFP is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all qualified candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the Organisation. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection & recruitment process, and for work-related needs upon joining the Programme.
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status. WFP has zero tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, abuse of authority or discrimination. All selected candidates will, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
We greatly appreciate your interest in WFP and joining our mission to achieve Zero Hunger by 2030
Saving Lives, Changing Lives!
POSITION TITLE: Mid-Value Donor (MVD) Programme Lead
ORG UNIT: Private Partnerships and Fundraising (PPF)
DUTY STATION: Rome HQ or remote
CONTRACT TYPE: Consultant CST II
DURATION: 11 months
LINE MANAGER/SUPERVISOR: Head of Supporter Experience (Donor Development)
The Private Partnerships & Fundraising Division (PPF) is responsible for mobilizing resources from the private sector. PPF has developed an ambitious five-year strategy and our ambition is based on need. The World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies, and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience.
Work as hard as we might, through drought and floods, conflict and peace, disasters natural or man-made, the needs are immense and growing. 828 million people in the world do not have enough food to eat. To get to a world with Zero Hunger faster, WFP has significantly increased resources in recent years from donor governments. We are now investing in and growing private sector fundraising to reach more people.
WFP’s private sector strategy (2020 – 2025) proposes to dramatically increase income from individuals to help reach more people and get to Zero Hunger faster, using new digital engagement tools to reach audiences across the globe in a flexible and cost-effective way.
Traditional individual fundraising in our sector was primarily conducted through offline channels and implemented through national fundraising operations. The individual fundraising market now looks very different, with the vast majority of potential donors having a digital presence and comfort with transacting online. WFP has a unique opportunity to define its approach amid this digital change, and leapfrog peers through its creation of a digital-led fundraising strategy that engages people worldwide from one centralized team.
WFP currently has the fastest growing global individual fundraising programme. Our focus is a regular giving digital-first strategy, working through a centralized global team recruiting supporters primarily through digital channels (Meta & Search) and building an outstanding supporter experience through a multi-channel loyalty programme that aims to deliver a best-in-class donor experience. The programme now recruits donors in English, French, German, Spanish and Arabic, with language capabilities also including Korean, and it delivers the supporter experience journeys through email, SMS, WhatsApp, in/outbound telephone and Meta.
The mid value Donor Programme is an integral part of the supporter experience. The team is responsible for the management and development of Pre Mid-Value ($500 – $999), Mid-value ($1,000 – $9,999) and also High-Value Donors ($10,000 +) through a dedicated coordinator.
Mid Value Donor Programme works closely with the newly established Philanthropy Unit within PPF that is focused on securing leadership level gifts from Ultra High-Net-Worth Individuals.
PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The Individual giving team is looking for a seasoned mid value donor Fundraiser, who has experience of building and managing mid value donor programmes and has the skills and experience to develop on the opportunities WFP has seen to date. The IG programme at WFP is still very much in its infancy, only being established in 2020. However, since inception the importance of MVD/HVD fundraising has been a core pillar of the strategy. To date the MVD approach has been a generic adaption of the standard value programme but given the growth in the file over the last 3 years, WFP now requires dedicated expertise and stewardship to further develop the existing file, grow it further from the existing base as well as new donor sources.
This role will play a significant part in generating income and building relationships with Individuals worldwide. The programme will need to be delivered in Arabic, English, French, German and Spanish. The focus for this role in 2023 will be to identify and concentrate efforts on our existing mid value donors who have the potential to give more and put testing plans in place to build further through the acquisition programme.
The MVD Programme lead will line manage and have technical responsibilities for the High Value Donor Coordinator, who nurtures and stewards a small but growing portfolio of $10,000 + donors. Strategic direction, Income targets and budget responsibility for this group of HVDs will be the responsibility of the MVD lead.
The successful candidate will work in coordination with the newly established Philanthropy Unit within PPF, as well as the Foundations, and Corporate partnerships teams, Legal Department and Data Privacy Office and, Friends Offices (WFP USA, WFP Japan and WFP Italy).
The MVD Programme Lead will be part of the global individual giving team that is securing sector-leading fundraising results and has large growth ambitions. The team takes career development seriously, and for the right individuals this is a great opportunity to join an ambitious, collaborative and supportive team environment.
This position will report to the Head of Supporter Experience within the Individual Giving Team in PPF.
There are a range of key tasks you will perform. The list below is not exhaustive, but we will always take careful consideration to prioritise work to ensure a balanced workload at all times.
- Develop a strategic plan for Mid and High Value Donor communication
- Review results to date and develop a renewed plan for MVD donors that ensures income targets are met, more donors give repeatedly year on year and the file continues to grow in both absolute numbers and in year income
- Further develop the donor recognition and stewardship of the high-value donor segments (Pre-mid, mid and HVD) ensure WFPs top donors receive high quality engaging and personalised feedback on their donations in a timely manner
- As part of the stewardship programme, lead donor field trips, events, virtual feedback calls and webinars that allow these special donors to have greater access to the field, the people and the projects they support
- Optimise the supporter experience. Develop specific multi-channel and multilingual welcome journeys, and improve the communications and content calendar so that it meets the growth needs of our high-value donor groups
- Use donor research tools to focus the strategy and optimize the deployment of limited resources to deepen, strengthen and continue to grow income from existing segments.
- Development of new MVD strategy
- As required, develop a new MVD product for existing supporters – a specific and tailored offer that provides WFP MVDs with a unique, engaging opportunity to commit regular giving and/or pledge
- Work closely with the field and content teams to identify areas of WFPs programmatic work that would uniquely appeal to this donor group, bring them onto the inside track of the organization and increase loyalty
- Ensure all members of IG including the supporter care team, understand their role in delivering the MVD strategy, the unique requirements of fundraising across this segment and their role in maximizing the potential of MVD fundraising at WFP
- Support the Head of Individual Giving during the annual planning process. Provide detailed projections for forecasted results for the coming year and detail the work involved in realizing those targets
- Develop annual operations budgets to support the work required to deliver these income targets
- Work closely with the Global Philanthropy team (GPT) to support leadership level giving
- Ensure fluidity between all higher value segments - from pre-mid value to ultra-high net worth individual – work with the HVD coordinator and GPT to ensure a continued high standard of care and attention as a donor moves up and down through the value bands
- Reporting and Analysis associated with the MVD segments
- Developing a clear and structured reporting platform in Tableau so the segment(s) can be monitored and tracked against a core set of KPIs
- Measure, monitor and optimise the MVD programme. Track the growth of the segment - net income, average gift, No. of Number etc. both YTD and against previous years
- Identify any country trends associated with the segments and make recommendations on a potential acquisition strategy aimed at targeting similar audience
- Explore opportunities with the acquisition team on the development of a recruitment campaign aimed at acquiring donors at this giving level at the point of acquisition
- Establish a proficient level of Tableau dashboard expertise. Having the ability to create and amend reports for specific campaigns and/or activity
- Input to the regular organization-wide and division reports and keep senior management updated on developments
- Supervise High-Value Donor Programme Coordinator
- Responsible for setting their annual deliverables and ensure they are meeting those objectives through regular review and appraisal
- Lead in the development and guide the HVD coordinator in the delivery of a stewardship pathway from MVD into HVD and beyond
- Support the HVD Coordinator to adopt their key responsibilities and day to day optimization of HVD programme
- Provide opportunities for the HVD coordinator to expand and grow in their role and mentor their development
- Oversee the administration of bequests and legacies, and ensure appropriate level of signposting and information on how to leave a legacy to WFP across all channels
- Support and guide the HVD coordinator in all legal and due diligence matters relating to gifts in the region of $100k
- Ensure the implementation of the pre-screen and due diligence process for all gifts meeting the required thresholds, and where applicable, that an appropriate legal agreement is in place
- Together with the HVD coordinator, review the end to end contracting and legal processes involved with accepting gifts with earmarked requirements
- Promote the use of profiling tools to identify existing supporters who have absolute highest potential and transition these supporters to the Philanthropy Unit for highly specialist leadership level giving.
- Other relevant tasks
- Stay abreast of sector trends in MVD fundraising, supporter experience and engagement and bring relevant learning to the team
- Work with our existing global systems, policies, and processes to deliver the objectives of this role in a compliant, collaborative, and efficient way.
- Any other tasks as consummate with the level of experience and as required to support Individual Giving Supporter Experience team and PPF
- Overall increase in loyalty, gift frequency and value of existing MV Donors
- Successful development and delivery of a new MVD strategy that helps increase gift frequency and value and size of the MVD file
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
University degree in a relevant discipline, e.g. marketing or business.
A minimum of 7 years of relevant work experience; experience at the international level, including at a UN agency and humanitarian organisation, to attract, retain and consistently increase the value of individual supporters is desirable.
- Current and active knowledge and insight into Mid and High Value Donors, ideally across multiple markets
- Proven track record in successful strategic development and implementation of MVD Giving growth strategies.
- Proven success in building relationships with and securing gifts from individuals who have the ability to give mid value gifts
- Experience of cross-organisational initiatives or appeals and working with colleagues in communications or creative and content delivery
- Demonstrated ability to be data-driven and evidence-led and use performance and insights to inform decision-making to deliver higher returns in a programme
- Experience of working with specialized agencies to deliver fundraising offers and products to increase supporter engagement, loyalty and value
- Experience of working strategically and collaboratively to plan for the medium and long term, as well as on a day-to-day basis and managing competing priorities.
- Exceptional negotiating skills and the ability to write persuasively and effectively for varied audiences.
- High-level communication skills (both verbal and written donor communications)
- Proven ability to deliver projects on time and on budget and to brief and coach staff or manage consultants
- Demonstrable skills in working successfully in a complex organisation serving multiple stakeholders across geographies.
- Excellent communicator with the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues across different cultures, disciplines and time zones
- Ability to summarise and make data accessible to various internal audiences and stakeholders
- Ability to travel to/from WFP HQ, Rome and other locations for meetings with agencies, e.g. supporter care and occasional trips to Friends organisations
- Availability for ‘out of hours’ on-call work, including at weekends in the case of a humanitarian or another emergency appeal
- Willingness to be adaptable and ‘roll your sleeves up’ to get the work done across a small team with big ambitions.
- Work experience within WFP is desirable as well as work experience in multiple markets within International NGOs.
- Fluency in English – ability to professionally perform duties in the official UN/WFP language
- Fluency in another language (German, Spanish, French or Arabic) is an advantage
Deadline to apply for this job opening: 24 June 2023
Something looks off?