Internship - Freerice Digital Marketing Communications, Advocacy and Marketing Division, Rome, Italy
World Food Programme
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status, physical or mental disability.
Internship – Freerice Digital Marketing
Communications, Advocacy and Marketing Division (CAM)
HQ Rome, Italy
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. We are currently seeking to fill an intern Communications, Advocacy and Marketing, CAM based in Headquarters - Rome, Italy
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE DIVISION
Freerice is a philanthropic trivia game and youth hub that engages students, teachers and the wider public with WFP’s mission and work. The Team supports the Communications Division by driving interest and awareness towards WFP’s global campaigns through digital storytelling, gamification and community development.
The Freerice Digital Marketing Intern will support the Freerice Project Manager to update the Freerice Youth Hub with fresh content, optimize our digital platforms for usability and wider reach, and develop new partnerships to build support for WFP’s mission and global campaigns.
- Title of Post: Internship
- Supervisor: Freerice Project Manager
- Unit: Communications, Advocacy and Marketing, CAM
- Country: Italy
- Duty Station: HQ Rome
- Duration of internship: 8 months
- Expected Start Date: October 2023
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Freerice Digital Marketing Intern will report directly to the Freerice Project Manager.
Freerice Content Creation & Optimization
- Assist the Project Manager with digital storytelling for Freerice.com, including preparing short blog posts, listicles, photo essays and interviews;
- Review existing in-game content and categories as needed to ensure questions are accurate, up-to-date, appropriate and aligned with Freerice’s mission;
- Assist in optimizing digital content for search engines (SEO) to improve organic search rankings and visibility;
- Monitor and analyze digital marketing performance metrics using tools such as Google Analytics and social media insights.
Freerice Partnerships & Outreach
- Maintain existing informal partnerships with organizations, individuals, influencers, and others to help Freerice grow and gain new content;
- Identify opportunities for community engagement, contests, and partnerships to drive user participation;
- Work with the Project Manager and Social Media Intern to identify and engage influencers and youth advocates to amplify our messages and take an active role in the Freerice community;
- Help prepare assets (decks, brochures) for different stakeholders, and prospect potential sponsors and media opportunities for the platform.
Freerice Digital Strategy
- Assist in brainstorming and implementing new initiatives and campaigns to boost youth engagement around the Sustainable Developments Goals, in particular Zero Hunger;
- Work closely with members of the CAM Team to ensure cohesive and impactful digital storytelling;
- Participate in team meetings, contributing ideas, and providing updates on ongoing projects.
Support the Project Manager in other tasks as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate programme from a recognized university OR recently graduated from an undergraduate or graduate programme (within six months prior to the application to the internship programme) from a recognized university;
- University course attendance in the past 12 months.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Fully committed and motivated to achieve the aims of the UN World Food Programme.
Excellent written and spoken English is required (proficiency/level C). Another UN language would be an advantage.
Under the direct supervision of the Freerice Project Manager, the incumbent will be provided with mentoring, guidance and technical supervision. Performance planning and reviews as well as learning and development discussions will be elemental part of the supervision. The Head of Digital will be the second-level supervisor. With the support of a comprehensive induction package and assignment of a buddy/mentor, the intern will rapidly become a productive member of the team.
Throughout their assignment WFP interns have access to an industry leading learning platform, weLearn. Depending on opportunities and availability of funds, he/she may participate in WFP workshops or seminars, as appropriate.
At the end of the assignment, the Intern should have developed:
- New editorial and multimedia features on Freerice.com;
- Expanded in-game content (questions, challenges, features) on the platform;
- New promotional materials for internal and external audiences;
- Strategic partnerships and collaborations with members of the Freerice community and corporate sponsors;
- Implementation of new campaigns for Freerice.
OTHER RELEVANT INFORMATION
- VA Reference no: 828972
- Closing Date: 10 September 2023 at 11:59pm Rome time
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Interns receive a monthly stipend from WFP up to the maximum amount of US$1000 per month depending on the duty station of assignment.
- WFP is not responsible for living expenses, arrangements for accommodation, necessary visas and related costs.
- WFP will reimburse travel ticket for candidates who are nationals of developing countries and are pursuing their studies in their home country.
- WFP will recognize candidates’ educational credentials from recognised institutions that have been certified by competent international or national authorities such as the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) or Ministries of Education.
- Candidates who bear any of the following relations to WFP staff members are not eligible to apply: sons, daughters, brothers or sisters.
WFP LEADERSHIP FRAMEWORK
These are the common standards of behaviour that guide HOW we work together to accomplish our mission.
Different expectations of behaviour are defined depending on your grade and role/responsibilities within WFP.
All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks. No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.