Communications Associate SC,L6
World Food Programme
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status, physical or mental disability.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian organization, saving lives in emergencies and using food assistance to build a pathway to peace, stability and prosperity for people recovering from conflict, disasters and the impact of climate change. Food assistance extends well beyond the traditional view of “food aid” as transfers of food commodities to hungry people.
It seeks not only to save lives and protect livelihoods in the short term, but also to combat the root causes of hunger in the medium and long term for a world with zero hunger.
These jobs are found primarily in WFP Field based Offices, and job holders typically report to Programme Policy Officer or Programme Associate. The reporting lines may change depending on the size of the office.
At this level job holders are expected to take responsibility for completion of a range of processes and activities related to monitoring that require some interpretation of standard guidelines/practices. Job holders are able to recommend a course of action to staff at various levels and may allocate tasks to other support staff.
WHY WORK AT WFP?
SAVING & CHANGING LIVES ❤
Make a difference, the world will notice.
We are driven by our mission to fight world hunger and feed people’s dreams of a brighter future.
GLOBAL COMMUNITY 🌍
Build bridges that unite people across the world.
Being part of a global, diverse and multicultural community like WFP, will continuously expose you to new ideas and perspectives.
How we deliver our mission in a deep respect for personal and cultural differences and close collaboration between every member of our global team, will certainly enrich your experience and knowledge on so many levels.
UNLIMITED POSSIBILITIES 💡
Unlock possibilities you never thought you'd find.
WFP goes anywhere it is needed and does whatever it takes to get the job done.
LIFE-CHANGING EXPERIENCE ⭐
Reach beyond yourself and discover your true potential.
WFP offers the kind of life-changing experiences you’re unlikely to find in many other organizations.
Join us to make a difference.
Watch this video to know more about us!!
To provide research and specialised communications services that support the creation of content and services aimed at maintaining and enhancing WFP’s visibility and reputation and supporting fundraising activities.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Develop written content, including Press Releases, stories for the WFP website as well as contributing to donor reports covering communications activities.
- Travelling to the field to conduct interviews and gather success stories from the different WFP programmes
- Support in the development, preparation, execution and dissemination of awareness raising campaigns for different target audiences.
- Conduct research, suggest ideas, and provide coordination support to ensure the timely and effective delivery of communications activities.
- Manage the dissemination of communication materials among key stakeholders.
- Serve as the focal point for media coverage of events to optimize publicity of WFP’s activities.
Additional Key Accountabilities
- Develop and maintain updated media data base for WFP Egypt Country office
- Maintain relationship with media representatives through different channels including providing regular updates on WFP’s programmes
- Develop the monthly newsletter of the Egypt Country Office
- Organize and execute WFP’s visibility events, working closely with colleagues, external partners and media, to ensure events are effectively planned, executed and publicized
- Monitor traditional media platforms along with social media, and report relevant information to senior staff to ensure senior management are up to date with news of relevance to WFP’s work
- Prepare content for use on traditional media platforms and social media as well as developing printed materials, to enhance coverage and support of WFP’s activities, ensuring consistency with corporate messages.
- Distribute and promote communications guidelines for WFP staff to refer to when creating content.
- Respond to specialized queries from the media and/or different partners following WFP’s guidelines to ensure timely and accurate resolution of all enquiries.
- Implement improvements to communications methods and practices, to contribute to a better flow of information about WFP’s work to the media and stakeholders.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Bachelor’s or equivalent degree in Business Administration , International Relations or Media , Journalist or any relevant field of study in the related functional area
Experience Knowledge & Skills: Six years of experience in communication , Public Information or Professional writing including experience in the preparation and production of materials for publication .
Languages:Fluency in both oral and written Arabic & English.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
- Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
- Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
- Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
- Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
- Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfill the needs of internal and external partners.
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Media and Influencer Relationship Management||Demonstrates ability to respond to and/or escalate needs of media and influencers within own scope of responsibility to raise the profile of WFP, build relationships and further organisational aims.|
|Media and Communication Expertise||Collates accurate and timely information presented in required format (i.e. written or visual materials) as well as verbally, to enable information flows and informed decision making on communications issues.|
|Specialised Knowledge in Communications||Exhibits specalised technical knowledge of communications channels processes, tools and techniques. In immediate area of responsibility, provides support in developing written, visual, audio and multi-media content for communications materials and suggestions for improved communications processes.|
|Sociopolitical Contextual Understanding||Shows awareness of the multilateral/interagency environment and the dynamics in which WFP operates which informs approach to daily tasks.|
|Communication Strategy and Planning||Demonstrates sound understanding of WFP communications strategy and effectively implements tailored media and communications plans which support the delivery of the strategy.|
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
• Has demonstrated a sound understanding of WFP communication techniques and activities and awareness of the socio-political context in which WFP operates through day to day work
• Has provided ad-hoc guidance to new staff members
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Net Salary Per month: As per the WFP salary scale.
Social Insurance: 8.33% added to the net pay monthly salary in lieu of pension contribution (WFP has no further obligation with the respect of pension).
Annual Leave: 2.5 Annual leave days per month.
Medical insurance: The Medical insurance coverage will be granted by WFP (cost is sharing among the contractor and WFP).
Death and Disability:SC holders must be covered for service incurred disability/injury/death, at no cost.
Working hours: 5 days a week - 8 hours per day
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Deadline for submitting the online applications will be on the 18th of September 2023
All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.