Programme Policy Officer NOC (Strategic Outcome 3 Manager - Smallholder Farmer Support)
World Food Programme
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
To design and manage programmes of moderate size or complexity that effectively meet food assistance needs, or contribute to policy formulation and/or provide technical advice or oversight on programme strategy and implementation.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- As the SO3 Manager, lead the Smallholder Farmer (SHF) Support team and provide technical backstopping in relevant activities in line with WFP standards and processes.
- Support the government to strengthen and advance national initiatives, including the development and review of national government policies, action plans, protocols, and guidelines.
- Provide strategic guidance on knowledge and adoption of climate services, climate smart and regenerative agriculture practices, mechanisation and innovative technologies among smallholders and nutritious food value chain actors to build resilience against climate change and other shocks.
- Provide guidance on market access and value chains oriented SHF support, particularly on operationalization of the warehouse receipt system, strengthening the creation of localized sustainable market systems and value addition through agricultural aggregation, access to finance networks, enhance market price discovery, information, and dissemination through relevant technologies.
- Strategically support activities around set-up and harmonization of private sector lead financial products (including weather-based index insurance) to government initiatives and increase meteorological services to enhance early warning systems.
- Lead WFP engagement with various strategic partners on programme collaborations enhancing innovative solutions to achieve CSP targets.
- Lead partnership engagement and resources mobilization with potential donors and cooperating partners and support development of donor proposals and reporting.
- Continued advocacy and communication around nutrition-sensitive smallholder farmer support, climate change adaptation and resilience in general and ensuring that these are integrated into national strategies and programmes.
- Build capacity of WFP staff, partners, and government to prepare for and respond to issues of national interest.
- Guide and supervise junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them on more complex analysis and queries.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Advanced University degree in International Affairs, Economics, Nutrition/Health, Agriculture, Environmental Science, Social Sciences, Business, Marketing, or other field relevant to international development assistance, or First University Degree with additional years of related work experience and/ or trainings/courses.
- At least five (5) years of postgraduate professional experience in a related field of operations.
- Experience in project management, with proven results in achieving programme milestones.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Has experience working across the Program portfolio including VAM/Nutrition.
- Has led a Sub Office or a small country/area office programme team or a component of a country office programme portfolio.
- Has engaged in policy discussions and provided input into policy decisions.