Food Technologist SC9 | Kyiv, Ukraine
World Food Programme
Career Opportunity: Food Technologist SC9 | Kyiv, Ukraine
Всесвітня продовольча програма (ВПП ООН) - це гуманітарна організація ООН, яка надає продовольчу допомогу у вигляді грошових коштів, сертифікатів або продуктів харчування громадам, що постраждали від війни. У своїй діяльності ВПП керується гуманітарними принципами нейтралітету, неупередженості, гуманності та незалежності. Спираючись на пристрасть, відданість та професіоналізм наших 24 000 співробітників по всьому світу, Всесвітня продовольча програма (ВПП) працює в понад 123 країнах і територіях, щоб доставляти життєво необхідну їжу людям, які залишилися переміщеними внаслідок конфлікту та знедоленими внаслідок катастроф. Крім того, ВПП допомагає окремим особам і громадам знайти кардинальні рішення для багатьох проблем, з якими вони стикаються, будуючи краще майбутнє.
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
🚩 Vacancy Announcement n°: 829338
📢 Job Title: Food Technologist
📌Type of Contract: Service Contract
➡️ Unit / Division: Supply Chain Unit / WFP Ukraine
📍 Duty Station: Kyiv, Ukraine
➡️ Duration: 12 months (renewable)
⏰ Closing date: 20 September, midnight (Central European Time)
🇺🇦 The position is only open to Ukrainian nationals or residents of Ukraine, with a legal work permit.
The World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian organization saving lives in emergencies and using food assistance to build a pathway to peace, stability and prosperity, for people recovering from conflict, disasters and the impact of climate change.
At WFP, people are at the heart of everything we do, and the vision of the future WFP workforce is one of diverse, committed, skilled, and high performing teams, selected on merit, operating in a healthy and inclusive work environment, living WFP's values (Integrity, Collaboration, Commitment, Humanity, and Inclusion) and working with partners to save and change the lives of those WFP serves.
What will you do in this position?
You will maintain food safety and quality procedures in the delivery of WFP food commodities and provide competent, technical, and professional support to supply chain staff internally.
Why work with us?
The war in Ukraine has had drastic consequences, both for people inside the country and for those around the world dependent on its huge grain supplies. It has caused one of the fastest forced population movements since the Second World War. Close to 8 million Ukrainians are living as refugees across Europe, and another 5.3 million are internally displaced. Many are destitute, having lost their homes and livelihoods. As food production and supply lines are disrupted by fighting, many families in the east and south do not have reliable access to nutritious food.
WFP uses a flexible mix of food and cash assistance to support vulnerable Ukrainians wherever they are. This includes working with local partners to distribute food rations in areas near the frontline and providing cash transfers wherever people have access to banks and markets to buy food. Since March 2022, WFP has distributed food and cash assistance equivalent to 1.9 billion meals to families displaced and affected by the war, partnering directly with local responders.
➡️ WFP is a 2020 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate.
➡️ WFP offers a highly inclusive, diverse and multicultural working environment.
➡️ WFP invests in the personal & professional development of its employees through a range of trainings, accreditation, coaching, mentorship and other programs as well as through internal mobility opportunities.
➡️ A career path in WFP provides an exciting opportunity to work across various country, regional and global offices around the world, and with passionate colleagues who work tirelessly to ensure that effective humanitarian assistance reaches millions of people across the globe.
➡️ WFP offers a competitive benefits package including salary, leave plus a medical insurance.
How can you make a difference?
In this position, you will have to:
- Collate and analyse data and contribute to the preparation of reports relating to food quality and safety, to inform risk management and mitigation and contribute to a WFP wide view of food technology activities.
- Prepare evidenced based recommendations for senior staff on control measures to combat and reduce food commodity losses and food quality and safety issues.
- Prepare evidenced based recommendations for senior staff on tools to enable rapid response to situations with food safety concerns.
- In the event of food safety incidents, support investigation exercises to enable lessons learned to be documented and shared, to reduce re-occurrence of the incident.
- Support project teams on the food technology aspects of food assistance programs, ensuring compliance with WFP food and safety regulations.
- Contribute towards the development and/or implementation of protocols and tools relating to food technology issues, ensuring alignment with WFP procurement and supply chain strategy, policies and plans.
- Support the capacity building of WFP staff and partners for efficient and effective delivery of food assistance to beneficiaries (e.g. through the design and review of training materials).
- Identify and build productive relationships with supply chain colleagues and staff within the area of assignment to support an integrated approach to food assistance.
- Guide and supervise more junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with more complex analysis and queries.
- Follow emergency preparedness practices to ensure WFP are able to quickly respond and deploy food and needed resources to affected areas at the onset of the crisis.
- Act in an assigned emergency response capacity as required to meet emergency food assistance needs.
- Provide on-site inspections according to FSQ Strategy UACO
- Develop a draft specification of new commodities requested in UACO
- Support vendor management assessment under procurement request
- Track effectiveness of corrective action in case of any deviation of quality and food safety parameters of food commodities
- Control of Q&Q inspection services ordered by procurement unit
- Provide scientific approach advise in matter of deviation which not confirmed by supplier/service provider
- Draft SOP related FSQ in supply chain activity
- Participate in development of mitigation plan of registered incidents and support FIM committee
- Analyze the local regulation of food safety and quality in regard to supply chain activities
- Support in case establishment of repacking processes
- Communicate with state authorities the issues related to food safety and quality.
To join us in saving lives, changing lives, you will have:
Education: Advanced university degree in Food Technology, Health Sciences, Food Control, Nutrition or other related field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
Experience: A minimum of 5 years of post-graduate professional and relevant work experience in food industry/food testing laboratory/inspection services of food commodities, knowledge of GFSI standards and auditing/inspection principles.
Language: Fluency (level C) in both in English and Ukrainian languages.
Standards of behaviour: The WFP Leadership Framework describes the common standards of behaviour that guide HOW we work together to accomplish our mission.
Leads by Example with Integrity
Drives Results and Delivers on Commitments
Fosters Inclusive and Collaborative Teamwork
Applies Strategic Thinking
Builds and Maintains Sustainable Partnerships
Lives the WFP values and shows humanity and integrity by role modelling care for others
Delivers on commitments and adapts readily to change
Is inclusive and collaborative, and contributes to a culture of learning and personal growth
Demonstrates commitment to gather perspectives, analyse options and risks, and propose new ways of doing things
Builds and nurtures external partnerships and collaborates with partners to deliver common objectives
Different expectations of behaviour are defined depending on your grade and role/responsibilities within WFP. Candidates’ alignment with these behaviours is assessed in our selection process.
Before you apply...
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles. All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
We aim to achieve parity in our teams in Ukraine. Qualified women applicants are especially encouraged to apply.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
How do you apply...
To be considered, you are invited to apply via WFP’s recruitment portal. CV and cover letter must be submitted in English language.
Only those who are short-listed candidates will be contacted for the next steps of our recruitment process.
We also encourage you to create your candidate profile and set up WFP job alerts to learn more about all the opportunities available to join us and make a difference in the lives of the people we serve.