Business Support Assistant SSA 5
World Food Programme
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Title of post: Business Support Assistant SSA5
Type of contract: Special Service Agreement (SSA)
Unit/ division: Country Director’s Office
Duty Station Banjul, The Gambia
Duration: 6 months only (Non-Renewable)
Why work at WFP?
SAVING & CHANGING LIVES ❤
Make a difference, the world will notice.
We are driven by our mission to fight world hunger and feed people’s dreams of a brighter
GLOBAL COMMUNITY 🌍
Build bridges that unite people across the world. Being part of a global, diverse and
multicultural community like WFP, will continuously expose you to new ideas and
UNLIMITED POSSIBILITIES 💡
Unlock possibilities you never thought you'd find.
WFP goes anywhere it is needed and does whatever it takes to get the job done.
Join us to make a difference!
For more details about WFP contractual modality and salary, please follow this link: https://icsc.un.org/
CONTEXT AND OBJECTIVES OF POST
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the world's largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. In The Gambia, WFP has been supporting the government in schools feeding since 1970. In 2012, WFP in collaboration with the government embarked on a three-year food security project called Improving Food Security through Crop Production Intensification and School Feeding Programme was launched with EU support. The main aim of the project was to increase household food security and income of participating farmers and enhance nutritional status of targeted school children. School Feeding is the largest social safety-net in The Gambia.
Continuation on building on WFP’s experience of more than 40 years in the Gambia, school feeding provides support for the establishment of a sustainable, nationally owned home-grown school feeding (HGSF) programme, where food supplied to the schools would be sourced from local smallholder farmers. This was done by reinforcing capacities at the central, regional and community levels for home grown school feeding implementation and management. It was jointly implemented with The Government building capacity for school feeding in the targeted regions, to improve enrolment and retention in early childhood development centers and the basic education cycle.
The current programme structured as the Country Strategic Plan (CSP), was developed in consultation with all major stakeholders, and started in January 2019 through to 2021, provides the following strategic shifts; (i) alignment of country portfolio to the National Social Protection Policy; (ii) increased focus on capacity strengthening and national ownership of the SMP, assisting the government to improve modalities and absorb part of the caseload, while providing management and monitoring support; (iii) an integrated resilience intervention, converging nutrition, support to smallholder farmers and resilience building activities to enhance community assets, while providing conditional transfers to those at risk during the lean season; and (iv) field-level implementation to technical capacity support to national government in early warning systems and preparedness.
WFP is currently seeking a qualified candidate to take up functions of the Business Support Assistant SSA5 position. The incumbent will be expected to take responsibility for completion of a range of business support activities requiring some interpretation of standard guidelines/practices. Job holders are able to recommend a course of action to staff at various levels and will deliver a wide range of business support processes and activities for a specific professional area of work, to facilitate effective service delivery.
Under the direct supervision of the Country Director, the incumbent will undertake the following tasks;
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES (not all-inclusive, nor exhaustive):
- Manage the Country Directors calendar and travel.
- Process and manage routine administrative and financial tasks in various functional areas, to contribute to the effective and timely management of resources
- Take notes for the record during various meetings held with the Country Director.
- Draft official correspondences on behalf of the Country Director
- Assist in managing office communications to ensure priorities and urgent matters are identified and addressed, and that consistent and quality services are delivered.
- Proof-read reports, documentation, correspondence, etc., making changes in line with established guidelines where appropriate.
- Collate information for inclusion in reports, documents and correspondence, to support the effective work of other staff.
- Lead in the organization of meetings, events etc held by the office of the Country Director, ensuring all administrative issues are handled effectively and efficienctly.
- Respond to standard queries and provide timely and accurate guidance.
- Manage and maintain records and databases, to ensure information is organised and readily available for staff.
- Maintain relationships with a range of partners, individuals through provision of business support to assist in information sharing and service delivery to staff.
- Contribute to improvement of business procedures and processes.
- Collect and perform basic analysis of data to contribute to quality business information management.
- Provide guidance to junior colleagues in performing their duties.
- Any other duties assigned from time to time and as may be assigned by the Country Director.
OTHER POST REQUIREMENTS (details to be determined by Post Managers):
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES:
Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level
Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives
Helps teammates articulate WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
Be a force for positive change
Suggests potential improvements to team’s work processes to supervisor.
Make the mission inspiring to our team
Explains the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities to teammates.
Make our mission visible in everyday actions
Articulates how own unit’s responsibilities will serve WFP’s mission.
Look for ways to strengthen people's skills
Trains junior teammates on new skills and capabilities.
Create an inclusive culture
Seeks opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds.
Be a coach & provide constructive feedback
Serves as a peer coach for colleagues in same area of work.
Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit
Tracks progress toward goals and shares this information on a regular basis with supervisor.
Encourage innovation & creative solutions
Explores ways to consistently be more efficient and accurate in own areas of work and shares new methods of work with colleagues.
Focus on getting results
Focuses on getting results and tracks trends in completion rates for own tasks to identify opportunities for efficiency.
Make commitments and make good on commitments
Takes responsibility for own tasks and notifies supervisor as soon as possible of potential delays in meeting deadlines or commitments.
Independently decides what action to take when faced with critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations in the field.
Connect and share across WFP units
Suggests opportunities for partnering with other units to supervisor.
Build strong external partnerships
Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals.
Be politically agile & adaptable
Develops an understanding of the value of WFP’s teams and external partners in fulfilling team’s goals and objectives.
Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships
Aligns own activities with supervisor’s priorities to fulfill internal and external partner needs.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE:
- Proficient in the use of office equipment and computer software packages, such as Microsoft Word.
- Knowledge of work routines and methods in order to complete processes under minimal supervision.
- Uses tact and courtesy to give and receive information to a wide range of individuals.
- Ability to identify data discrepancies and rectify problems requiring attention.
STANDARD MINIMUM ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS:
Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area is desirable. A university degree will be an added advantage.
Five or more years of progressively responsible work experience in the relative business stream with experience in general administrative work.
Fluency (level C) in English language: Fluency in both oral and written communication.
QUALIFIED FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
- Applications are to be submitted and received online and in English language only.
- WFP will apply a rigorous and transparent selection process including thorough assessment of technical skills to ensure the best candidates are selected for the job. Please ensure that your application contains accurate and complete information on academic qualifications, employment record and language skills.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The deadline for the submission of all applications is 21st September 2023
- -------- WFP has zero tolerance for any form of discrimination ……...