MSDI - Asset management Data Science Junior Consultant, Rome, Italy
World Food Programme
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The Asset Management Unit (AMU) is part of the Management Service Division - Infrastructure and Facilities Management Branch (MSDI) of WFP. The AMU is responsible for providing all WFP offices with the necessary policies, guidance, and tools to manage assets globally. Asset (including light and armoured vehicles, generators, pre-fabs, ITC equipment, etc.) are essential to deliver our mandate to serve our beneficiaries. AMU is taking great strides in its new approach to responsible asset management through improved tracking, accounting, policy, tools (dashboards), and guidance.
This position is under the overall supervision of the Head of the AMU and the direct supervision of the AMU BI consultant.
Assets (including light and armoured vehicles, generators and pre-fabs) are essential to deliver the WFP mandate to serve our beneficiaries. The WFP Management Service Division (MSD), the Asset Management Unit (AMU), is taking great strides in its new approach to responsible asset management through improved tracking, accounting, policy, and guidance. For WFP offices to make informed choices on Asset Management, they must have reliable and timely data upon which to make their decisions. Some proofs of concept have already been produced but should be enhanced.
The overall goal of the AMU Junior Data Science Consultant is to support the AMU Business Intelligence (BI) Consultant in various data-related activities. These activities range from collecting and cleaning data to analyzing it and creating reports/dashboards. The role involves creating predictive models and algorithms to optimize asset management decisions, visualizing data insights, and ensuring data compliance and ethical considerations. Through these activities, the Junior Data Science Consultant aims to support AMU's mission by providing actionable insights, automating data processes, and improving overall data governance.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Assist in collecting, cleaning, and pre-processing data from multiple sources.
- Participate in exploratory data analysis to identify patterns, anomalies, or inconsistencies.
- Develop predictive models and algorithms to support asset management decisions.
- Create visualizations and dashboards to represent data insights effectively.
- Work closely with AMU BI consultant to ensure data compliance and ethical considerations.
- Support stakeholder communication by preparing comprehensive reports and presentations.
- Assist in automating data processing and reporting systems.
- Evaluate the performance of data-driven initiatives and suggest improvements.
- Collaborate with team members for ongoing data governance and quality control.
- Assist the BI consultant in research, develop and deploy AI solutions for AMU.
- Assist in Training and capacity building for peers and relevant stakeholders on newly implemented data tools and dashboards.
- Any other duties as required.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
Bachelor’s degree in data science, Computer Science, or related field.
At least one year of experience in a data science role.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience with data visualization tools such as Tableau, power BI or other.
- Strong programming skills, particularly in Python
- Strong understanding of machine learning concepts and techniques including Experience with machine learning libraries such as TensorFlow or PyTorch is desirable.
- Understanding of data modelling techniques
- Advanced use of Microsoft Excel
- An understanding of working with different cultures.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills
Written and oral proficiency in English is essential.
Intermediate (or better) knowledge of another UN language (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian, Spanish or WFP’s working language Portuguese) is desirable.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
27 September 2023
WFP has a zero-tolerance approach to conduct such as fraud, sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to WFP’s standards of conduct and will therefore undergo rigorous background verification internally or through third parties. Selected candidates will also be required to provide additional information as part of the verification exercise. Misrepresentation of information provided during the recruitment process may lead to disqualification or termination of employment
WFP will not request payment at any stage of the recruitment process including at the offer stage. Any requests for payment should be refused and reported to local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.