World Food Programme
Contract Type: SC
Deadline for application: 22 November, 2023
Duty station: Brasilia, Brazil
Work mode: In-person
Duration: 06 months (with the possibility of extension)
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. Finding long-term and sustainable solutions to chronic hunger is also a part of the WFP mandate. The WFP Centre of Excellence against Hunger located in Brazil was launched in November 2011 and has been created as international centre of excellence. The Centre is a partnership between WFP and the Brazilian government, and its aim is to promote south to south cooperation, and provide support to governments in Africa, Asia and Latin America in capacity development in the areas of School Feeding, Nutrition and Food Security.
The Centre is an innovation that seeks to respond government demands for technical support to strengthen their national capacities and knowledge on sustainable school feeding and to support them in the design and management of healthy and sustainable national school feeding and other hunger programmes.
The Centre is looking for a highly motivated proactive person to act as Director´s Assistant. Potentially an interesting position for a dynamic professional with good writing and networking skills, outstanding administrative abilities, strong education background, exceptional language skills in Portuguese and English to assist the Director and the Centre of Excellence’s team.
Supervision: Under the direct supervision of the Centre´s Director, the Director´s Assistant will also work closely with the Operations Unit.
Accountabilities: The Director´s Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
- Manage the Director’s calendar, meeting schedule/appointments and travel plans.
- Arrange meetings/appointments on behalf of the Director.
- Liaise with the Director about relevant events and meetings, brief him/her on matters to be considered prior to it.
- Prepare briefing materials and agendas for the Director for use on official trips or special meetings and convene the weekly staff meetings, including preparing meeting notes.
- Liaise with internal and external partners and donors to support in the development and strengthening of relations, by assisting the Director and office staff.
- Make presentations and participate in meetings on behalf of the Director, whenever requested, including meetings to introduce the Centre or to maintain partners updated about office´s activities.
- Conduct tasks associated with travel arrangements, such as processing travel requests, issuing tickets, making reservations, visa processing and managing security clearance procedures for the Director's official trips. Additionally, if needed, provide assistance to WFP staff traveling on behalf of WFP and ensure adherence to institutional guidelines.
- Support the organization and participate in meetings, conventions, missions, events, and seminars, both virtually and on-site, and provide broad administrative and logistical support to office members and to the Director in these activities.
- Support the coordination and implementation of projects and joint actions as needed. This includes drafting and sending communications, as well as proofreading and translating documentation if required.
- Ensure diligent follow-up and provide comprehensive assistance with various administrative matters, including proficient handling within ERP/SAP systems.
- Compile necessary documentation and initiate the submission of requests for new vendor creation, subsequently monitoring and ensuring the progression of these processes.
- Manages meeting rooms calendar and schedule appointments as appropriate.
- Set up, classify and maintain HR electronic and physical files ensuring all documentation is complete and updated in their respective folders.
- Draft routine correspondence and initiate process for the preparation of all staff support documentation (visas, identification cards, UN Laissez Passer, etc.); organize relevant customs, immigration and UN documentation process, as required.
- Check and revise attendance registers, leave requests, social security and other personal forms to support HR in the preparation of the staff payroll.
- Provide information and organize introductory meetings to new staff, based on a comprehensive onboarding presentation.
- Assist all phases of selective processes in the office, including assessments and interviews.
- Perform other duties as required.
University degree in Business Administration, Executive Secretariat, Communications or other related area is a requirement. Post graduate studies in the related areas are an advantage.
At least three years of specific experience in executive assistance work in international organizations, private corporations and/or government are requested. Experience in supporting operational areas such as administration, procurement, travel and Human Resources. Experience with UN policies and processes will be an asset.
- Knowledge of standardised business support work routines and methods.
- Experience in the usage of office equipment and office software packages, including Word, Excel, Power Point, Teams, and Share Point.
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Experience with web-based applications for meetings and conferencing such as Teams, Zoom, and others.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Experience in the usage of SAP or other ERPs is an advantage.
- General knowledge of UN system policies, rules, regulations and procedures is an asset.
Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Portuguese is a requirement. Working knowledge in French and/or Spanish will be an asset.
Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level
Business Support Services & Reporting
Demonstrates ability to collect and summarise data to enable supervisor(s) to efficiently make informed decisions, and to respond to and/or escalate needs of the clients.
Resource Management for Administration
Demonstrates ability to track and compile reports on resource usage on project-level basis.
Specialised Knowledge in Administrative Services
Demonstrates a basic understanding of administration best practice techniques within own area and a basic understanding of WFP standards, processes and infrastructure in area of responsibility. Shows an eagerness to develop understanding in the area.
Understands and follows the established standards and protocols for service excellence within own area to maintain quality of delivery and high levels of customer satisfaction.
Step 1 - Go to: http://www1.wfp.org/careers/job-openings - Register and create your online CV.
Step 2 – Click on – Director´s Assistant - Apply to submit your application.
NOTE: You must complete Step 1 and 2 in order for your application to be considered for this vacancy.
The candidate must have Brazilian Nationality or be legally authorized to work in the country.
WFP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups and persons with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.