Human Resources Officer (Operations) SC8 | Kyiv, Ukraine
World Food Programme
Career Opportunities: Human Resources Officer (Operations) | Kyiv | One year
Всесвітня продовольча програма (ВПП ООН) - це гуманітарна організація ООН, яка надає продовольчу допомогу у вигляді грошової допомоги, сертифікатів або продуктів харчування громадам, що постраждали від війни. У своїй діяльності ВПП керується гуманітарними принципами нейтралітету, неупередженості, гуманності та незалежності. Спираючись на пристрасть, відданість та професіоналізм наших 24 000 співробітників по всьому світу, Всесвітня продовольча програма (ВПП) працює в понад 123 країнах і територіях, щоб доставляти життєво необхідну їжу людям, які залишилися переміщеними внаслідок конфлікту та знедоленими внаслідок катастроф. Крім того, ВПП допомагає окремим особам і громадам знайти кардинальні рішення для багатьох проблем, з якими вони стикаються, будуючи краще майбутнє.
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
🚩 Vacancy Announcement n°: 830280
📢 Job Title: Human Resources Officer (Operations)
📌Type of Contract: Service Contract
➡️ Unit / Division: Human Resources Unit / WFP Ukraine
📍 Duty Station: Kyiv
➡️ Duration: 12 months (renewable)
⏰ Closing date: 3rd December 2023, midnight (Central European Time)
🔄 Successful candidates will be placed on the roster and rostered applicants may be contacted in the upcoming 12 months on an as-needed basis, for immediate opportunities.
🇺🇦 The position is only open to Ukrainian nationals.
The World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian organization saving lives in emergencies and using food assistance to build a pathway to peace, stability and prosperity, for people recovering from conflict, disasters and the impact of climate change.
At WFP, people are at the heart of everything we do, and the vision of the future WFP workforce is one of diverse, committed, skilled, and high performing teams, selected on merit, operating in a healthy and inclusive work environment, living WFP's values (Integrity, Collaboration, Commitment, Humanity, and Inclusion) and working with partners to save and change the lives of those WFP serves.
What will you do in this position?
You will support the delivery of a professional, client-focused HR Operations, partnering with managers, staff, functional experts and partners to implement the best solutions in line with WFP corporate priorities.
Why work with us?
The war in Ukraine has had drastic consequences, both for people inside the country and for those around the world dependent on its huge grain supplies. It is inflicting untold suffering on civilians, displace families, and disrupt supply chains and food production. It has caused one of the fastest forced population movements since the Second World War. Close to 6 million Ukrainians are still living as refugees across Europe, and almost 5.1 million are internally displaced. Many have lost their homes and livelihoods. As food production and supply lines are disrupted by fighting, many families in the east and south do not have reliable access to nutritious food.
WFP uses a flexible mix of food and cash assistance to support communities affected by the war wherever they are. This includes working with local partners to distribute food rations in areas near the frontline and providing cash transfers wherever people have access to banks and markets to buy food. Since March 2022, WFP has distributed food and cash assistance equivalent to 2.2 billion meals to families displaced and affected by the war, partnering directly with local responders.
How can you make a difference?
Under the supervision of the Human Resources Operations Team Leader and the overall authority of the Head of Human Resources, the Human Resources Officer (Operations) will have to:
- Provide support in building talent within WFP, working with managers to understand their needs and organizing solutions to recruit, retain and develop a high caliber workforce to deliver the business strategy.
- Support staff capability building, working with managers to understand individual skills and business requirements, and organizing development solutions which equip people with the skills and knowledge required to meet current and future challenges.
- Support and deliver onboarding activities to ensure new employees have a positive experience of WFP and are successfully integrated into their new role and the organization.
- Support for organizational design activities that enable senior management to define and organize structures and jobs and allocate people to the right places in order to improve efficiency.
- Respond to queries from managers and staff, understanding their issues and ensuring policies, procedures, processes, systems and tools are available and correctly applied to support them.
- Support HR operational activities or projects that are aligned to business needs, following standard processes and ensuring alignment with wider WFP policies.
- Contribute to the effective management of the employment relationship between WFP and its staff, by administering conditions of service, contracts and appropriate entitlements.
- Collate data and contribute to preparation of accurate and timely reporting, supporting a WFP wide view of HR activities that enables informed decision-making and consistent information for stakeholders.
- Conduct straight forward data analysis under close guidance of a senior HR Officer, in order to support others on projects or contribute to process efficiencies and improvements.
- Perform other duties as required.
This role will specifically focus on Human Resources Operational strategies, policies and processes, ranging from onboarding to offboarding, managing contracts, benefits and entitlements and other payroll related HR matter delegated to the office. Responsibilities and role focus may evolve based on Programme direction and needs.
To join us in saving lives, changing lives, you will have for...
Education: Advanced university degree in Human Resource Management, Public or Business Administration, Industrial Psychology or other relevant field, or First University degree with two additional years of related work experience or advance HR certifications or diplomas.
Experience: Minimum of one years of postgraduate professional experience in Human Resources, especially in managing contracts, benefits and entitlements, payrolls, onboarding and offboarding processes. Experience in Experience working with UN Agencies, INGOs, International Organization or in an international HR context will be an asset, as well as any additional years of experience in the relevant field.
Knowledge & Skills: We are looking for a dynamic, agile and creative HR Professional who is passionate about HR Operations and enabling workplaces where people can strive and fulfill their potential. Specifically, we are looking for:
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience in Human Resources principles and concepts, appointment types and conditions, HR tools and systems, and communication.
- Researching rules, policies, practices and precedents to determine eligibility for entitlements or benefits.
- Ability to foresee or notice challenges, conduct thorough research, make conclusions and recommendations.
- Ability to negotiate and clarify the reasons behind certain policies and decisions. Ability to discuss with colleagues, clients and managers while advocating for consistent and fair application of rules and regulations.
- Ability to communicate effectively in a diverse organization, tailoring language, tone, style and format to match the audience.
- Ability to quickly build credibility with internal stakeholders.
- Good problem-solving skills with the ability to continuously adapt approaches and recommendations to a specific organizational/country context.
- Excellent research, planning and organizational skills, as well as project management, reporting and presentation skills using Microsoft Office.
- Knowledge and experience of HR Master data and payroll systems, including monitoring, reporting, and mitigating gaps and risks.
- Good understanding of systems workflows, automation options and other online information technology applications to simplify offline manual processes.
- Ability to collate, analyze and interpret relevant data from a variety of sources in order to produce reports for supervisor(s). Advanced practice of Excel is required (e.g. Pivot Tables, conditional formulas).
Language: Fluency (level C) in both in English and Ukrainian languages.
Standards of behaviour: The WFP Leadership Framework describes the common standards of behaviour that guide HOW we work together to accomplish our mission.
Leads by Example with Integrity
Drives Results and Delivers on Commitments
Fosters Inclusive and Collaborative Teamwork
Applies Strategic Thinking
Builds and Maintains Sustainable Partnerships
Lives the WFP values and shows humanity and integrity by role modelling care for others
Delivers on commitments and adapts readily to change
Is inclusive and collaborative, and contributes to a culture of learning and personal growth
Demonstrates commitment to gather perspectives, analyse options and risks, and propose new ways of doing things
Builds and nurtures external partnerships and collaborates with partners to deliver common objectives
Different expectations of behaviour are defined depending on your grade and role/responsibilities within WFP. Candidates’ alignment with these behaviours is assessed in our selection process.
Before you apply...
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles. All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
We aim to achieve parity in our teams in Ukraine. Qualified women applicants are especially encouraged to apply.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
How do you apply...
To be considered, you are invited to apply via WFP’s recruitment portal. CV and cover letter must be submitted in English language.
Only those who are short-listed candidates will be contacted for the next steps of our recruitment process.
We also encourage you to create your candidate profile and set up WFP job alerts to learn more about all the opportunities available to join us and make a difference in the lives of the people we serve.